Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Support for Google Drive and iCloud Drive to share (Read 7140 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Support for Google Drive and iCloud Drive to share
Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Rob, you are correct about Copy.com.  They turned out to be #1 in our performance testing.

Anyhow, we've now updated our evaluation of syncing services which can support BookMacster or Synkmark syncing among multiple Macs.  Enjoy it.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Rob Lewis
Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2014 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Not that I will be switching to it immediately, but Copy.com might be a contender. I'm somewhat partial to it because, unlike many of these services, it isn't a startup of unknown staying power but rather a subsidiary of a pretty large, successful company (Barracuda).

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2014 at 9:09am
Print Post  
I've completed testing Google Drive.  Its smart incremental syncing performance is acceptable.  You can put your .bkmslf document file in a Google Drive folder, and it will sync as Dropbox does.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2014 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Hello, Doug.

Thank you for asking.  Our apps will work sync via any file syncing service that will sync arbitrary files, although to work efficiently, the service must use smart incremental syncing of files.  If they don't use smart incremental syncing,  they are going to up/download all of your bookmarks (typically several MB) any time you add or change a single bookmark, which could get annoying.

• Google Drive.  I'm not sure if they do smart incremental syncing.  I shall test it and get back to you here tomorrow.

• iCloud Drive.  As far as I know, iCloud Drive is not available unless you're running the Yosemite Developer Preview, and we have other issues with Yosemite right now.  The current version of iCloud, available in the Lions and Mavericks, does not support syncing of arbitrary files, unless you use the Mobile Documents hack, which I don't recommend because iCloud Drive will be here soon.

Dropbox has met both of our requirements since day one, which is why we've always recommended it.  But I know Dropbox has fallen out of favor with many users recently.  So we need to retest some of these other services and update our list.  Microsoft OneDrive is certainly a candidate; there are lots of others - SugarSync, Wuala, Memopal, etc.  Let us know if there are other services you'd like us to test.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

DougBrutlag
Support for Google Drive and iCloud Drive to share
Jul 4th, 2014 at 7:23am
Print Post  
Can we use Google Drive or iCloud Drive to share bookmarks between Macs instead of just DropBox?

Doug

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint