Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Bookmarklet won't install into safari (Read 6991 times)
Mark Weems
Re: Bookmarklet won't install into safari
Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2014 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks Jerry,

Of course that is the reason I mostly use FireFox, due to extensions and its open source. Though it has been acting up on some sites lately (404 error, when other browsers work fine) and so far I haven't wanted to reset it as I am very busy with work and school. Probably will but in the meantime I was using Safari. It doesn't really surprise me that Apple has it locked up. Thanks again for your response, and sorry for taking your time for such a trivial issue. Love bookmacster btw.

Mark

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2014 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Yes, Mark, your expectations were off because of, unfortunately, the limitations of Safari.

In Firefox, we can add those menu items, and in Chrome, we can add a toolbar button, by virtue of our Firefox and Chrome Extensions.  Apple does not provide any such power to Safari extensions.  As a matter of fact, Safari Extensions are so powerless for our purposes that we've never even made one.

To add bookmarks to Safari, you can use the BookMacsterize bookmarklet to add bookmarks directly to BookMacster, but actually I consider that a legacy feature.  I think that BookMacster's Keyboard Shortcuts and Menu Extra are more convenient, and more powerful because they bring forth BookMacster's Floating Menu, which empowers you to visit and search for bookmarks in addition to adding bookmarks.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Mark Weems
Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2014 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Hey Jerry,

Thanks for you quick reply. No, it is not showing in the toolbar at all, and my safari was unmodified, and has no extras... I think I was expecting some of the things that show in FF to show, like add quickly... so it goes straight to my bookmark shelf. I was able to solve this problem in bookmacster, since somewhere along the way it lost the key commands I set for adding.

It does however show up at the bottom of the favorites menu as you mention. Not sure if this means it is fully functional, and if it functions as it does in FF, because perhaps my expectations were off. I suppose I should set up synching again, as I turned it off and have been manually pushing my bookmarks to FF and Safari.

Mark

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2014 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Hello, Mark.

I just tried File > Export Bookmark to > Safari in BookMacster, and it worked fine for me.

The bookmarklet is named BookMacsterize, and it appears at the the right edge of the toolbar in Safari.  Is it possible that there are too many items in the toolbar so that it falls off the end?  You should also be able to see it at the bottom of the Favorites folder in Safari if you click in the menu: Bookmarks > Edit Bookmarks.

Let us know what you find.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Mark Weems
Bookmarklet won't install into safari
Nov 12th, 2014 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
I use safari as a backup browser when firefox acts up on certain sites (which has gotten more common lately). In any case, I attempted to install the bookmarklet into safari, and it goes through the process but ultimately nothing is installed. MacOS Yosemite 10.10, and Safari 8.0 and Bookmacster 1.22.22

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint