Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Issues with Chromium Version 40.0.2214.94 (64-bit) (Read 55156 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Issues with Chromium Version 40.0.2214.94 (64-bit)
Reply #14 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 6:42am
Print Post  
Hello again, FatalError.

Trying to figure out what is changing with Chromium bookmarks is going to be very difficult with BookMacster's syncing on.  It would be better to leave syncing off.  Export to Chromium several times a day for a few days, and see if you can determine what event causes 79 - 81 bookmarks to suddenly churn.

One more thing: make sure that you don't have some other old BookMacster document syncing Chromium.  To check for those, click in the menu: BookMacster > Stop Workers, Agents.  That menu item should be disabled, indicating that no BookMacster, Synkmark or Smarky documents are syncing.

Also interesting, but less likely to give a clue, would be to look in the Reports > Sync Log and see what 79-81 items are being churned.

We hope to be able to put some time into the Firefox issue this weekend.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #13 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Removing FFdev edition results in BM no longer prompting to close and reopen FF.

Astonishingly, now also the chromium issue seems to be gone. I'm not signed into chromium and am 100% positive on that. I also double checked in chromium chrome://settings/ it has a sign in button so > not signed in.

Syncing is off. Well neither BM or chromium changed 79 bookmarks. I didn't touch chromium so judging from that it would be BM. But I didn't do anything there. Then only main current main browser could be the source of the changes (firefox) but I did not change 79 bookmarks.

As I wrote above the chromium issue has not re-appeared after FFdev was uninstalled. Will observe further. Do you think I can activate syncing again? Or should I leave that off for now?

Hm, switched it on and now I'm back to
The proposed Export operation will cause 80 items to be added to, 363 items to be updated in, and 79 items to be deleted from Chromium.

The total, 522 changes, exceeds your Safe Sync Limit of 25 for Chromium!  Are you sure you want to do this export?

when syncing to all. Export anyhow. Try cmd + u again, no warning. So looking good. Let's see how this behaves for a while.

BM has just displayed the following warning while having turned on automatic sync much earlier today. When opening BM after this error or clicking "view" in the error msg automatic sync is turned off again:

An Export operation was aborted because it would have caused 82 items to be added to, 388 items to be updated in, and 81 items to be deleted from Chromium.

The total, 551 changes, exceeds your Safe Sync Limit of 25 for Chromium.

Do you *really* want to *DELETE* 81 items in Chromium?  If not, click "Cancel".

Suggestion to Fix this Error:
Click 'Open' to open the document.  Then retry manually by clicking in the menu: File > Export to all.  You'll get more info.

✔  To prevent recurrence, syncing has been switched off.  To resume syncing, after the issue is resolved, click the 'Syncing' button in the toolbar.

When this error occurred:
2015-02-05 21:19:12
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2015 at 8:27pm by »  

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #12 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
One more thing, regarding the Firefox confusion.  There is probably no need to uninstall anything.  I think the confusion occurs when one of the Firefoxes is running in profile A and BookMacster needs to import/export with profile B.  If you can prevent that situation, I think it will be a workaround.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #11 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Regarding the latest FIREFOX trouble, if you mean your open tabs in a browser window, I don't think BookMacster could affect those.

Regarding your desire to uninstall Firefox Developer Edition, go ahead and do it.  I can reproduce the issue with BookMacster getting mixed up between running Firefox versions myself.  (Actually, we discovered it here and, I just found, opened an issue a few weeks ago, but haven't worked on it.)  I think the issues arise from multiple Firefox profiles and app instances, and maybe you could also work around the problem by using the developer edition and profile only.

Regarding CHROMIUM, the first thing I want to say is to please check again that you're not signed in to Chromium.  Let's review the situation.  You've got syncing off in BookMacster, and you export to Chromium, the second time with, as expected, 0 changes.  You can export a third time or a fourth time with no changes.  Clearly, BookMacster and Chromium have the same content.  Then you come back the next day, try it again, and 79 items want to be churned.  That means either 79 items changed in Chromium,  or in BookMacster.  Which is it?  Maybe you could please repeat that two-day test and see if it is reproducible.  Also, you can see which 79 items are being churned in BookMacster's Reports > Sync Logs.  You may see that BookMacster is simply replacing bookmarks with other bookmarks that have the same name, same URL and same location, which probably means that the internal unique identifiers have changed.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #10 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Great. Keep me posted. And +1 for not adding more words. It's the right approach and yes it was fairly easy to figure out.

1. FIREFOX trouble

Meanwhile I observes more oddities with the Firefox profiles. I have not yet detected a pattern, but I already described that when FF is reopened the tabs are gone. After closing BM and opening FFdev after a few hours, that profil did open with the tabs from my previous FF (not FFdev) session. This is really wired. It might as well just be a FF bug - who knows.

So now I'm at a point where I am willing to simply uninstall everything FFdev related and get back to normal business and a working setup. But for the sake of testing I won't touch anything until you give me the go. I'm ok with sticking to this setup if it helps you verify one or the other current issue.

2. CHROMIUM trouble

After launching BM today (the mac was shut down in between) and doing the usual test sync export to > chromium only, I am back to
"The proposed Export operation will cause 79 items to be added to, 363 items to be updated in, and 79 items to be deleted from Chromium.

The total, 521 changes, exceeds your Safe Sync Limit of 25 for Chromium!  Are you sure you want to do this export?"

Sorry for more problems.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 6:18am
Print Post  
Regarding the user experience on the red defunct Firefox profile, there is a tooltip that will show after a few seconds of hovering that suggests clicking it.  You apparently figured it out before the tooltip appeared.  I'm counting that as a success!  I'd rather not pollute the user interface with any more words than we already have.

Regarding the unnecessary launching of Firefox, I've just reproduced that.  I'll try to work on it and get back here tomorrow.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
The size is not a problem, I just wonder what that dev did to get such a tiny software to that insane size.

So now opening BookMacster results in it asking me to re-assign the renamed Firefox Client. An UX thought about that: I can click OK but it doesn#t tell me, how to do that or what my options are. It's verey straight forward (I just had to click the then red entry and select the correct client). Maybe a minor to fix, whenever you have spare time available for such minor issues.

Export to > Chromium only: still works! Yey. "0" changes.

clients in screenshot.

When closing BM and being asked to Export & Save or, or, I select the first and again I'm asked to "Quit Firefox".

Now here start further oddities: It does it's syncing, then asks "Relaunch Firefox", I say yes and am presented with different tabs from an old session (all tabs present when FF was closed are gone). This is a big problem imo and it seems either sessions or FF editions get mixed up here.

The oddities continue: After FF has been re-opened, BM again starts from "Firefox is running. It must be quit before performing this operation." So something is very off in that regard as well.

Sorry for bringing up all those problems. In the end I wish you luck as indie dev and hope BM finds more users. So great stuff, you're willing to go through this. Step by step.

Also kudos to your always superb support. Isn't it funny that often those small software indy devs have a much better support than the major players.

Also if you want PM me some XMPP contact so the process can be speed up (if you want).

BM_clients.jpg ( 53 KB | 595 Downloads )
BM_clients.jpg

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Eeek, I never realized that Profile Manager was so big.  You can get a similar Profile Manager window in Firefox with a Terminal command that I'd have to look up, but it's a little wonkier.

In your BookMacster document, how many Clients do you have listed and what are they?  Having two Firefox clients has probably not been tested very much, and I need to try that.

Also, try that Export to only > Chromium a couple more times, to make sure that nothing has changed in the last hour.  It should show 0 changes both times, unless you've changed something.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Syncing: is off for now.

Chromium: did export to > Chromium only
* got info message about too many items > export anyhow
* directly after that another export to > Chromium only with no complaints
So it behaves exatly as you predicted, the second sync shows no warning and the changed items are all "0"

Firefox: downloaded the profile manager. 126MB for a profile manager is pretty insane.
The profile situation is not chaotic as it might have appeared. There are two profiles:
1. default-some_number_here which I renamed to "default"
2. dev-edition-default
That's it and both are required.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2015 at 6:04pm by »  

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
I'll take the last issue first.

SYNCING

Syncing will just compound other issues.  Leave syncing in BookMacster off until we resolve the other two.

CHROMIUM EXPORTS NOT STICKING

Please try to export to Chromium with immediate, consecutive exports like this:

• Click in the menu: File > Export to only > Chromium.
• If asked about the Safe Limit, Export Anyhow.
• After the export completes, immediately File > Export to only > Chromium again.

This time, there should be no Safe Limit warning, and the Status field at the bottom of the window, should indicate 0 changes (+0 Δ0 ↖0 ↕0 -0).  Does that work?

FIREFOX LAUNCHING

You have two Firefox profiles, maybe more.  One of them in your screenshot, the one that begins: default-14190XXX, is an new profile which Firefox creates after Firefox has been reset.  I need to retest how this should work, but in the meantime, please straighten out those Firefox profiles.  I like to use Jonathan Griffin's Profile Manager app which you can download from here.  See how many Firefox profiles you have, remove unwanted profiles if any and, I suggest, rename them to remove the weird numbers.  (That 14190XX… is the time from the Unix epoch that the profile was created.)

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Here's the details:

* browser addons (screenshot 1)
* when clicking "more tests" and adding a bookmark in firefox, I get the message that the change was detected  "Received change from Firefox profile XXXXXXX"
* That seems to work fine

But when I press cmd + U I run into my old issues:

first chromium message shows up again:
"The proposed Export operation will cause 79 items to be added to, 363 items to be updated in, and 79 items to be deleted from Chromium.

The total, 521 changes, exceeds your Safe Sync Limit of 25 for Chromium!  Are you sure you want to do this export?"

I say "export anyhow".

Then I get the next message to close Firefox:
"Firefox is running.  It must be quit before performing this operation.

To Quit Firefox and then retry, click 'Quit Firefox'."

That's the two issues I'm currently seeing.

Then the automatic syncing does still not work and new bookmarks or deleted bookmarks do not get sorted or propagated to other browsers.

The above is why I gave up on BookMacster. So now this is quite a few problems. Maybe I should start from scratch with a need bookmark shelf? Or you have ideas how to approach this one by one. Let me know what you think.

1_browser_addons.jpg ( 55 KB | 557 Downloads )
1_browser_addons.jpg

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2015 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Once the Firefox extension is installed, which BookMacster prompts you to do pretty aggressively, BookMacster can import and export to Firefox while it is running.  If you find otherwise, send a few steps for me to try and reproduce.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2015 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
I'm not signed into chromium.

Ok, my bad. I kept pressing cmd y and cmd u. cmd y is "import from all" thus maybe the big amount keep showing up.

I think this is solved.

So my next question is: why does Firefox have to be shut down for the export but not chromium or safari?

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2015 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Hello, Fatal.

I just tested BookMacster with that Chromium 40 and it works fine for me.  You didn't say how much time you waited between exports.  After the first export, I exported again, immediately, and, in the Status field at the bottom of the window, BookMacster reported 0 changes (+0 Δ0 ↖0 ↕0 -0), as expected, and, of course, no Safe Limit warning appeared.

Are you signed in to Chromium, as explained here?  The article is written for Chrome but Chromium works the same way.  If so, sign out (or switch off their Bookmarks checkbox) and retry.  Maybe Google is changing these 80 bookmarks back for some reason.

How does it work with two consecutive, immediate exports?

In your BookMacster document, the Reports > Sync Log tab will show which 80 bookmark are being re-synced.  That may or may not tell you anything.

Ultimately, there may be something in those 80 bookmarks that we need to have a look at.  For us to have a look, in BookMacster, click in the menu: Help > Trouble Zipper and when it asks to include your files and bookmarks, click Include.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Issues with Chromium Version 40.0.2214.94 (64-bit)
Feb 3rd, 2015 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Hi Jerry,

after having ignored BookMacster for a while I'm now again intrested in getting the setup right.

I know you are a busy bee and there has been a huge amount of updates. Kudos to that. But with my setup I'm running into a few issues. I'll try to address them one by one and see if that way we can stabilize things a little.

Let's start with syncing issues with latest Chromium.

Using the build from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/osxportableapps/files/Chromium/

And BookMacaster 1.22.31.

I get the following error message (see screenshot).

Then automatic syncing get's disabled. This is of course expected if indeed 81 bookmarks *would* get deleted.

So to resolve this:

* from the top menu in BookMacster (as suggested) I do a "Export to all" and am greeted with:

"The proposed Export operation will cause 83 items to be added to, 347 items to be updated in, and 80 items to be deleted from Chromium.
The total, 510 changes, exceeds your Safe Sync Limit of 25 for Chromium!  Are you sure you want to do this export?"

And click "Export Anyhow".

I've done this several times but this problem with Chromium seems to be persisting while it should be a one time error and be gone after confirming the sync via "Export Anyhow".

Not sure how to fix this.

error_msg.jpg ( 73 KB | 608 Downloads )
error_msg.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint