Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Issues with Chromium Version 40.0.2214.94 (64-bit) (Read 55165 times)
FatalError
Ex Member
Re: Issues with Chromium Version 40.0.2214.94 (64-bit)
Reply #59 - Jan 13th, 2016 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
After a day of testing, this seems still to be working as expected. Please don't ask me, what went wrong with the old install.

I am really sorry to have wasted so much of your time on an issue that obviously was a local one.

Please close this thread. And thanks for your patient support!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #58 - Jan 13th, 2016 at 1:54am
Print Post  
Oops, I was wrong about there being only two ways to approach this  Smiley

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #57 - Jan 13th, 2016 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Another attempt at resolving this:

I did a full uninstall on chromium. Restarting with a new profile. The only extensions are adblock plus 1.10 + chromium updater 0.1.1.0 and the BookMacster 22 extension.

So far seems to work. But this has just been re-setup. So I'll observe further and report back. Maybe that was all that needed to be done. We'll see.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #56 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Hello again, FatalError.

The issue, as I understand it, is that you are getting what I call “churn” when syncing with Chromium.  That is, whenever a sync is performed, BookMacster will essentially make invisible updates to most or all of your bookmarks, and replace all of your folders with what are for all practical purposes identical folders, populate them as they were before with the so-called updated bookmarks, and then display a warning saying that it changed hundreds of items and therefore disable syncing as a precaution to avoid further “damage”.

I just spent 15 minutes testing this, and am still unable to reproduce the problem.  Here’s what I did:

• Open a .bkmslf document containing 500 bookmarks which I had lying around.
• Configure the Clients and Agents to sync with Chromium and sort bookmarks.
• Export to Chromium
• Close the .bkmslf document.
• Activate Chromium.
• Add a bookmark.
• Wait a few minutes.
• Verify that bookmarks have been sorted, apparently by BookMacster.  (Actually you can confirm that BookMacster did its thing if you leave the Logs window open in BookMacster and hit the “refresh” button.)  Also, verify that no alerts appear.
• Repeat the above three steps a couple more times, renaming and moving bookmarks.
• Open the .bkmslf in BookMacster again, look at the Reports > Syncing tab and examine the syncs that were performed.

The result is that only the items which needed to be changed were changed.  In other words, as I’ve found with different bookmarks sets over the past year when trying to reproduce this, it works for me.

There are two possibilities causing the trouble you are seeing.  One possibility is that there is something in your Chromium bookmarks that BookMacster is choking on.  The other is that some other Chromium extension or something, I don’t know what, is going in and changing the unique identifiers.

There are two things we can do to approach this.  One way would be for you to send us a complete Trouble Zipper report including Chromium bookmarks.  The other way is for you to switch the Safe Sync limits in BookMacster to infinite, which will prevent any warnings from ever being issued and prevent syncing from being disabled.  Or maybe, after a year, if you have any more clues for me, let me know.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #55 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 9:40am
Print Post  
This bug remains open. Does this effectively mean, that chromium syncing is broken for all chromium users? If so, maybe chromium should be removed from the supported browsers?

I only export to chromium but this bug means I can not use full synching option. It keeps disabling itself due to limit restrains (I guess?). So then I disable exporting to chromium, but that again defeats the whole idea of BookMacster.

Somewhat frustrated. I sure understand this is not the most pressing bug, but if it will not get fixed, chromium should probably be removed from supported browsers. And then again, chromium is one of the main 3 browsers I use. Loosing bookmark sync to that browser would not be the end of the world. But would throw be back to manual syncing which is not too far away of exporting and importing a html file of all bookmarks. Which then again would mean, I could ditch BM and go with the manual option.

I'd love to hear thoughts on that and what the plans for chromium are.

IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #54 - Oct 21st, 2015 at 10:02am
Print Post  
I'm pretty sure this is the only report about this problem? Just FYI this persists with Chromium 46.0.2490.71.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #53 - Jun 10th, 2015 at 3:06am
Print Post  
Sadly, yes it is still in the queue.  On the scoring system which considers number of users affected, difficulty to reproduce, and expected difficulty to fix, this one has just not reached the top yet.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #52 - Jun 9th, 2015 at 7:32am
Print Post  
Been silent a long time. Is this still in the queue?

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #51 - Apr 14th, 2015 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Sorry, it is temporarily displaced by another issue.  But it's in the queue.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #50 - Apr 14th, 2015 at 9:11am
Print Post  
and another ping. jerry, thanks for writing that script. were you able to look into the anonymized data already?

IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #49 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 11:23am
Print Post  
just a ping on this, did you get my mail, was it any useful?

IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #48 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
BM now at 1.22.40.

syncing is paused.

export to chromium
>The proposed Export operation will cause 21 items to be added to, 308 items to be updated in, and 23 items to be deleted from Chromium.

The total, 352 changes, exceeds your Safe Sync Limit of 25 for Chromium!  Are you sure you want to do this export?

export anyhow

quit BM, launch chromium, quit chromium 41.0.2272.89 (64-bit)

create Bookmarks-C file (as described in your steps)

launch BM, export
>The proposed Export operation will cause 29 items to be added to, 458 items to be updated in, and 29 items to be deleted from Chromium.

The total, 516 changes, exceeds your Safe Sync Limit of 25 for Chromium!  Are you sure you want to do this export?

export anyhow

created Bookmarks-B (as described in your steps)

more in my mail

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #47 - Mar 5th, 2015 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Very good, FatalError.  The problem is reproducible.  The only thing unexpected was that instead of failing with the third export (step 15) it also failed with the first export (step 4).  I should have predicted that possibility – it means that your bookmarks happened to be in a bad state to begin with.

I'll get back to you on this privately.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #46 - Mar 5th, 2015 at 11:36am
Print Post  
BM updated to 1.22.35
Chromium updated to 41.0.2272.76 (64-bit)

at step 4. I get the following warning:

The proposed Export operation will cause 12 items to be added to, 303 items to be updated in, and 11 items to be deleted from Chromium.

The total, 326 changes, exceeds your Safe Sync Limit of 25 for Chromium!  Are you sure you want to do this export?

> Export Anyhow

10. no warning or error, chromium results says triangle 3 and arrow up+down6.

launch chromium, close chromium

again cmd + u (export all), leads to

The proposed Export operation will cause 31 items to be added to, 454 items to be updated in, and 31 items to be deleted from Chromium.

The total, 516 changes, exceeds your Safe Sync Limit of 25 for Chromium!  Are you sure you want to do this export?

> export anyhow.

again cmd +u right after that > chromium sync results all "0".

launch + quick chromium

cmd + u again, back to

The proposed Export operation will cause 31 items to be added to, 454 items to be updated in, and 31 items to be deleted from Chromium.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #45 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Please try this:

1. Launch Chromium if it is not running.
2. Activate BookMacster.
3. In your .bkmslf document, add a “dummy” bookmark, to http://example.com or something.
4. Click in the menu: File > Export to all.  (I presume that this will export to Chromium, among others.)
5. Verify that everything worked OK; Status Bar at bottom of window indicates 1 addition, no warnings or errors.
6. Quit Chromium.
7. Activate BookMacster
8 Change the name of the dummy bookmark.
9. Again, File > Export to all.
10. Again, verify that everything worked OK; status bar indicates 1 addition, no warnings or errors.
11. Launch Chromium.

(This is the point where I expect that Chromium might barf on the export and rewrite all of your folders with new identifiers.)

12. Quit Chromium.
13. Activate BookMacster.
14. Again, change the name of the dummy bookmark.
15. Again, File > Export to all.

Does it work OK this time (only 1 change indicated in Status Bar), or do you get a Safe Limit warning dialog saying that 79 items are being being added and deleted, etc.?

If hope you are able to reproduce the problem using this procedure.  If so, I will give further instructions.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint