Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Safari "Bookmarks Menu" Folder (Read 13832 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Safari "Bookmarks Menu" Folder
Reply #8 - Mar 14th, 2015 at 4:16am
Print Post  
We found (and fixed) a bug that was probably causing the crash you saw.  Synkmark 1.22.36 has now been replaced with Synkmark 1.22.38 (on the beta channel again).  The feature to disable the Bookmarks Menu is no longer available in Synkmark, but it will be avaliable in the next version of Smarky.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Hello again, Squire.

Thank you for running the beta version.  I'd forgotten about Firefox.  It may be an insoluble conceptual problem – because Firefox has a Bookmarks Menu, they need to be mapped somewhere in Safari.  However, this change will be good for new users of Smarky, our Safari-only app, so it was a useful exercise.

Whenever an app crashes, something is wrong!  When you have a couple minutes, please send me the crash reports and related data.  To do that, activate Synkmark, click in the menu: Help > Trouble Zipper.  It will ask several questions, to which you may answer Don't Include because your bookmarks are probably not relevant in this case.  Email the report it produces as instructed.

Thanks again!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

SquirePinto
Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Hi Jerry. Thanks for working on a fix for this so quickly. The big software companies certainly don't have customer service like this.

I installed the new beta to test it out. From Synkmark I moved all the subfolders and bookmarks in the Bookmarks Menu folder outside of it, so they were top-level folders and bookmarks. I then deselected the Use Bookmarks Menu option, and exported.

That got rid of the Bookmark Menu folder in Safari. Everything also looked normal in Chrome, with all those folders and bookmarks remaining in the Other Bookmarks folder.

However, not having the bookmarks menu folder seems to have introduced some worse problems. In Firefox, all the bookmarks were moved to Unsorted (just to make your life more difficult, I decided to switch to Firefox as my default desktop browser). And when I added a new bookmark in Chrome, it was added to the Reading List in Safari, and Unsorted in FF. Finally, I decided to try starting fresh, so I paused syncing, deleted all my safari and chrome bookmarks, cleaned up my FF bookmarks, and chose Reset and Start Over in Synkmark.

The app re-opened, and I chose the browser order as Firefox > Safari > Chrome, clicked Done, and the app crashed. I tried restarting several times, but every time I clicked done it crashed.

I completely uninstalled and re-installed the stable version, and everything is working fine again - I just have Bookmarks Menu in Safari again.

If not having Bookmarks Menu makes syncing too difficult, I really don't mind it. It's a purely aesthetic issue, and a very minor one. For now, I'm going to keep using the bookmarks menu and the stable version.

Thanks again for looking into this, and thanks for the awesome app.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 3:50am
Print Post  
Hello again, squire.

We've just published a new version of Synkmark which I think will resolve this issue for your situation.  It's on the Synkmark beta channel, and here is how to get it.

After updating to Synkmark 1.22.36+, in order to remove the unwanted Bookmarks Menu, you should

• Move all items in the Bookmarks Menu, if any, into other folders.
• Click in the menu: Synkmark > Preferences.
• Click the tab: General
• Switch off the (new) checkbox Enable "Bookmarks Menu" / "Other Bookmarks" folder
• Verify that Bookmarks Menu is gone.
• menu > File > Export to all.
• Verify that Safari has no more Bookmarks Menu.

Please post back and tell us how it worked.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

SquirePinto
Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
I actually have tried it the other way around, i.e. giving Safari priority. I bought Synkmark several weeks ago and tried it that way first.

When I gave Safari priority, everything looked normal in Safari; no Bookmarks Menu folder was added. Chrome also looked normal. In Firefox, all the folders and bookmarks were added to Unsorted.

The problem was that if I added a bookmark to Chrome, a new Bookmarks Menu was created in Safari. The new Bookmarks Menu folder had a a duplicate subfolder with only the new bookmark in it. In other words, if I added a bookmark in Chrome to Other Bookmarks > News > Somearticle.html, it created Bookmarks Menu > News > Somearticle.html in Safari, rather than adding Somearticle.html to the existing News folder. Things seemed to be getting a bit messy, so I gave up on it for a while.

When I tried setting up Synkmark again a few days ago, I put Chrome first, and now Synkmark works great. It just means all my Safari folders are in a parent Bookmarks Menu folder (which really is a pretty minor problem). Hope that all makes sense.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Thank you for all of the details, squire.  You've probably nailed it; that by putting Chrome first it would kept the stuff in Chrome's Other Bookmarks, and by design, Synkmark associates Chrome's Other Bookmarks with Safari's Bookmarks Menu.  But I'm not really sure what would have happened had you done it the other way around, or how to change it back.  It will take a couple days to study the issue.  I'll post more after doing that.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

SquirePinto
Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 1:36am
Print Post  
Wow, thanks for the fast response!

Jerry Krinock wrote on Mar 5th, 2015 at 11:43pm:
• Were you using iCloud - Safari syncing before you started using Synkmark?

• Did the Bookmarks Menu only appear after you started using Synkmark?

• Are there any items in your Bookmarks Menu now, or is it empty?

To answer your questions:
1.  Yes, I was using iCloud sync before I started using Synkmark.

2.  Yes, the Bookmarks Menu only appeared after I started using Synkmark.

3.  Yes, there are now items in the Bookmarks Menu folder. All of my folders and bookmarks except for the Favorites bar have been moved into the Bookmarks Menu.

I'll add some detail to clarify. My chrome and safari bookmarks were already almost identical before I set up Synkmark, since a few days ago I deleted all my safari bookmarks and imported them from Chrome (using file>import from...). Before and after this import, my safari folders and bookmarks appeared below Favorites in the safari sidebar, and there was no Bookmarks Menu folder.

When setting up Synkmark I chose Chrome as the preferred browser, followed by safari, followed by Firefox. I followed the steps in the dialogs and all my bookmarks appeared in the correct order and folders in Synkmark. The two top level folders were Bookmark Bar and Other Bookmarks. The bookmarks from my favs/bookmark bar were in the Bookmark Bar folder, and all other folders and bookmarks were in Other Bookmarks.

However, I noticed that empty duplicates of my folders had been created, and they were not listed as sub folders of Other Bookmarks. They were at the top level of the hierarchy, and they were associated with Safari. I synced anyway.

In safari, I ended up with the new Bookmark Menu folder that I described above, which contained all the correct sub folders and bookmarks. There were also empty duplicate folders in the top level. In chrome I ended up with empty duplicates in the Other Bookmarks folder. And in Firefox the empty duplicates were added to Unfiled Bookmarks.

I deleted the empty duplicates from chrome, waited a while and they were removed from safari and Firefox.

Basically, it just seems like Synkmark wants there to be a top level Bookmark Menu folder in Safari (to be equivalent to Other Bookmarks and Bookmarks Menu in Firefox), but I think it was removed in the latest version of Safari (at least from the UI - i don't know what's going on behind the scenes!).

I hope that makes sense. It's really a pretty minor problem, as everything is syncing perfectly, it's just all in the Bookmark Menu folder now in safari.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2015 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
Hello, squire.

I think that the Bookmarks Menu is a legacy thing which Apple has moved away from, but anyone with an older Safari installation will still have it, and maybe our apps are not properly accomodating Menu-less bookmarks.  I thought that we fixed that when OS X 10.9 was released, but maybe not.

I shall re-test.  Tell me this, though…

• Were you using iCloud - Safari syncing before you started using Synkmark?

• Did the Bookmarks Menu only appear after you started using Synkmark?

• Are there any items in your Bookmarks Menu now, or is it empty?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

SquirePinto
Safari "Bookmarks Menu" Folder
Mar 5th, 2015 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
I recently bought Synkmark, and I think it's fantastic. I use Chrome on my Mac and Safari on my iPhone and iPad. So far Synkmark perfectly syncs Chrome and Safari on my Mac, then iCloud syncs the changes with my iOS devices. Likewise when I edit my bookmarks on a mobile device, iCloud syncs the changes with my Mac, and Synkmark syncs them with Chrome. It's exactly what I've been looking for.

However, I noticed that Synkmark added a top-level Bookmarks Menu folder to my Safari bookmarks. It's not serious problem, but it does look a bit strange to me, especially on my iPhone where it adds an extra menu to navigate through.

Has anyone else noticed this, and is there any way to avoid having the Boomarks Menu folder added to Safari?

P.S.  Sorry I couldn't add links to my screenshots. I received an error saying I needed two posts before I'm allowed to include links.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint