Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Issues and Remarks (Read 5160 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Issues and Remarks
Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
nmcf wrote on Nov 28th, 2015 at 3:35pm:
By the way, ff developer edition have deactivated your extension, can't export to it anymore. Will you fix it somehow?
My bad, seems to be exporting fine when app is running.
It should have been the other way around.  The manifest in our extension says that it is only good to Firefox version 43, because that's the highest number they would allow a few weeks ago when I submitted it.  Now that 44 is out on FirefoxDeveloperEdition, it should be disabled, but I just tested it and it still works.  Maybe they decided to allow us one or two versions of margin.  That would be nice.  Obviously, if they won't approve a version until I've supposedly tested it, and I get FirefoxDeveloperEdition the same way you do, we cannot work continuously with FirefoxDeveloperEdition.  I'm not going to stay up until midnight and jump on every new Firefox release.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

nmcf
Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
First of all, thank you Jerry for your detailed message.

I will send you data when I have a minute to set it all up.
Having more than 4k bookmarks, 168 folders, maybe that's part of the reason why I'm experiencing slow behavior.

Will try deactivate chrome and firefox syncs then, thanks for the tip.
But regarding chrome and canary, they are both set up to sync, only canary is being launched when I export to both of them.

Will do the same for firefox and try it out. I have different profiles for each version, mostly for plugins purposes.
Only profile I could use across different versions is the default one that is pretty much vanilla.

By the way, ff developer edition have deactivated your extension, can't export to it anymore. Will you fix it somehow?
My bad, seems to be exporting fine when app is running. Didn't when it was closed, though.

Will update the thread when I'll have tests done.

Thanks again,
Nico.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 2:08am
Print Post  
nmcf wrote on Nov 27th, 2015 at 8:13pm:
I find using Bookmacster is not fluid. Browsing folders in the main window is slow, even scrolling up and down seems like there is a problem somewhere.
We spent quite some time on that last year and got it really good, I thought.  Just checking quidkly with my bookmarks, I have 1478 bookmarks in 142 folders.  If I expand all of the folders, it will scroll as fast as I can swipe on my trackpad, going from top to bottom in 3 swipes and about 3 seconds with no lags or stops.  Same performance in either Outline Mode or Table Mode.  But I'd like to modernize that whole table/outline thing soon, and if you would send us your data, we'll see if you've found a new edge case we should design and test for.

Exporting to chrome canary, it always opens the app.  Is there a reason for that?
You are seeing what we call coordinated sync instead of direct sync.  Supposedly that launching (coordinated sync) occurs if you are logged in to Google, as explained here, which also explains how to change the behavior in some Advanced Settings.  I just re-tested that in Chrome Canary 49, and it works for me.  If I sign in to Google, it launches Canary.  If I sign out, it does not launch Canary.

Exporting to firefox dev-edition is fine, doesn't open it.  Firefox default, it does open it.
Works the same with Firefox Sync.  Except I found a bug the other day.  If you had signed in to Firefox Sync at one time, and then your credential changed so that the sign-in would no longer work, Firefox will indicate that you are not signed in to Firefox Sync, but the information that BookMacster examines to determine this still indicate that you are still signed in to Firefox Sync.  To fix this, sign in to Firefox Sync, then sign out.  Alternatively, if you know how to properly edit a JSON file, you can quit Firefox and delete the key/value pair for services.sync.bookmarks.syncID in the prefs.js file of your Firefox profile folder.

And since I use different profiles for aurora & nightly, I can't export anything to those two because it always opens the firefox default app with whatever profile was lastly used, which causes a mess.
It will open the Firefox default app, but if you look carefully you should see that it has opened the correct Aurora profile.  Tell me if you don't think that's working.

I've never tested with the nightly build.  I suppose that would use the Aurora profiles?

Speaking of mess, in my opinion, the whole Firefox profile thing is mess, and it became even messier when they made FirefoxDeveloperEdition use its own profiles.  The most annoying thing is that, unlike Chrome which puts the user "Person" name in the title bar of every browser window, in order to find out what profile you are using in Firefox you must click Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Folder, then click the Show in Finder button and reverse-engineer the profile name from which profile opens.  Yes, I filed a bug, years ago, but no love yet.

bookmacster is a great app, very useful and powerful. Without my issues and the slowness, that would be a 10.
Thanks, that would put us off the 5-star chart if we were in the Mac App Store  Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2015 at 6:24am by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

nmcf
Issues and Remarks
Nov 27th, 2015 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
As a remark, I find using Bookmacster is not fluid. Browsing folders in the main window is slow, even scrolling up and down seems like there is a problem somewhere.

Others experiencing the same under OS X 10.11.1 & Bookmacster 2.0.2?

As for issues, I got questions.

When exporting bookmarks to chrome, it's all good whether the app is active or not.
Exporting to chrome canary, it always opens the app.
Is there a reason for that?

Got similar problems with firefox, but the other way around.
Exporting to firefox dev-edition is fine, doesn't open it.
Firefox default, it does open it.

And since I use different profiles for aurora & nightly, I can't export anything to those two because it always opens the firefox default app with whatever profile was lastly used, which causes a mess.

Any light on these issues would be appreciated, bookmacster is a great app, very useful and powerful. Without my issues and the slowness, that would be a 10.

Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint