Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Find & Replace or Duplicate Matching (Read 5412 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Find & Replace or Duplicate Matching
Reply #3 - May 14th, 2016 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
The feature to remove selected query pairs has been added to BookMacster, Synkmark and Markster versions 2.2.2 which were published on our beta channel yesterday.  We refer to the stuff you want to remove as URL Cruft.  Actually, we also added the feature to Find and Replace text (the Reports > Find tab has been renamed to Find/Replace) but the Remove URL Cruft feature is easier to use for your purpose of removing Facebook reference tags.

To use it, first get the beta update:

After you have updated,

• Open your .bkmslf document in BookMacster.
• Click in the menu: Bookmarks > Remove URL Cruft.  A window with an empty list will appear.
• Click the button at the bottom Add Default Cruft Specifications.  Three items will be added to the list.
• Note that one of the items is named Facebook reference tags.  Select and delete the other two (unless you want the cruft they specify to be deleted also.)
• Click button Search….  If you have any bookmarks with any of the specified cruft, they will appear in a list, and the cruft in theic URLs will be highlighted.
• Select the bookmarks whose cruft you want to be removed.
• Click the big button at the bottom.  All of the highlighted "cruft" will be removed.

Your list of Cruft Specifications will be remembered and reappear the next time you click Remove URL Cruft.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Richard Hurton
Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 3:50am
Print Post  
Thanks for the quick response.  I'll give these instructions a shot, and I'll be on the lookout for a future enhancement with Find & Replace.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Hello, Richard.

Kind of disappointing on both questions.

We should have a global text search and replace, because, I've just realized, it would be easy to implement, and could be used to satisfy several feature needs including yours.  We don't have it now, but we might, soon.  Here is a workaround you could use:

• In the menu, click, File > Export to only > Choose File (Advanced…)
• OK a Normal Export.
• OK a New File with format XBEL.
• Export it to, say, your Desktop.
• Using a text editor such as BBEdit or Text Wrangler, do you search and replace.  Of course, this will search and replace all text in the file, including xml tags and other bookmark and folder attributes such as names.  So, be careful.  But what you're searching for, "?fref=ts", is pretty unlikely to show up anywhere other than a URL.
• Save the file in the text editor.
• Run BookMacster again.
• In the menu, click, File > Import from only > Choose File (Advanced…)
• OK a Normal Import.
• Choose the same file and OK import.

I just discovered a bug – in the last step you will be asked if you want to overwrite the file that already exists.  That is, of course, nonsense and a false alarm.  Click Replace.

Regarding Duplicate Matching, no our apps don't match by domain only because people having multiple bookmarks to different pages in the same domain is quite common.  If you know of domains to which you have multiple bookmarks, you can use the Reports > Find tab to search for, say "All bookmarks whose url contains 'example.com'" or whatever.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Richard Hurton
Find & Replace or Duplicate Matching
Mar 21st, 2016 at 6:26am
Print Post  
Howdy, just started using BookMacster recently.  I have a load of bookmarks I'm trying to clean up.  I'm hoping that one of these features already exists.

1.  Find & Replace.  I have a need to remove some arcane text elements that I don't need.  For example, "?fref=ts" from the end of a Facebook Page address.

2.  Duplicate Matching.  This is likely already the case, but wanted to confirm if duplicate matching happens at the domain level or for the full address only?  I'm hoping that I can toggle between the two options.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint