Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic change mapping of reading list ? (Read 2983 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: change mapping of reading list ?
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2019 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Regarding the errors when exporting to Safari, it is true that this can be caused by subfolders having the same name.  I just discovered this yesterday myself.  This applies to both Reading List and the root level, as explained here.

Regarding the mapping of Safari Reading List to Firefox Other Bookmarks, I agree this does not make sense today.  It made sense when we originally designed this.  Until a couple years ago, Firefox Other Bookmarks was called Unsorted Bookmarks.  They changed it, presumably to play with the Other Bookmarks of Google Chrome, but they still have a Bookmarks Menu, which Chrome does not.  And we've always mapped Chrome's Other Bookmarks to the Bookmarks Menu.

So, although it makes sense to old users, this has indeed become a mess for new users, and we should have a way for users to change the mapping.  However, we're not undertaking any major initiatives until after next week, when Apple is scheduled to make their annual announcement of how they plan to blow things up in macOS and Safari.

What I recommend for now is to make and use your own folders, and put them all in the same hard folder.

For this hard folder, I recommend the Favorites (Safari), Bookmarks Bar (Chrome), and Bookmarks Toolbar (Firefox).  You can hide this toolbar in all browsers if you don't want it taking up space at the top of all windows. 

As a second alternative, use the root level (Safari), Other Bookmarks (Chrome) and Other Bookmarks (Firefox).  This has the advantage of easier access in iOS devices (because iOS shows the root level when you tap the Bookmarks button).  In this alternative, you are subject to not having duplicate-named folders as explained in that other post I linked to.  But duplicate folder names is kind of not a good idea in any case.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Synack
change mapping of reading list ?
May 30th, 2019 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Hi,

I am trying to use bookmacster to sync safari and firefox on my Mac and I am facing several issues all of which seem to be related to the way the safari reading list is handled.

I am having plenty of errors when exporting to safari.  I have the feeling (I would need more tests) that bookmacster fails when trying to add subfolders from "other bookmarks". I read that  Firefox "Other bookmarks" is mapped to Safari "Reading list" but subfolders (which can't be copied into the reading list) are copied to the root. I think it fails if several of these subfolders have the same name or something.

I finally managed to make it work somehow and I was wondering if there was a way to change the mapping between Safari "Reading List" and Ffox "Other Bookmarks". First because of the issues mentioned above, second because I feel they don't have the same function (or at least I use them otherwise  Grin) : "reading list" is .. well... a list of urls to read later while "other bookmarks" is just a place to stack unsorted bookmarks.
I would like to map both to separate folders, Safari Reading List to a separate folder in Ffox and FFox "Other Bookmarks" to a separate folder in .
That way I would avoid any synchronization issue and any confusion in the use of each folder.
It would be even better if I could choose where the "Reading list" folder in Ffox is located (Personally I would put it in the bookmarks toolbar).

Does anyone know if there is a way to do this ?

cheers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint