Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Intermittent Brave Tab Bookmarking Bug (Read 6073 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Intermittent Brave Tab Bookmarking Bug
Reply #6 - May 21st, 2020 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
I think I know what is probably happening.  It is easily reproducible:

• In Brave (or any browser), visit web page A.
• Click the BookMacster or Markster status item and land a new bookmark to web page A.
• Activate the web browser again and visit web page B.
• Activate any other app.  For example, activate Finder.app by clicking on the Desktop.
• Click the BookMacster or Markster status item again.

Result: The menu will again offer to land a new bookmark to web page A.

The reason for the unexpected result is that a web browser (Brave) was not the active application when you clicked the status item the second time.  The active application is the one and only one app whose name appears in the menu bar after the  (apple).  When you click that status item, BookMacster or Markster grabs the current web page from the active application.  If the active application is not currently a web browser, it uses the previously-grabbed web page.

There is actually a few lines code in BookMacster/Markster to do this.  In other words, it was thought at one time to be a feature.

I'm wondering if maybe this is not such a good feature.  Anyhow, MrX, do you agree that this is likely what you are seeing?  Might you sometimes, either accidentally or on purpose, be activating Finder or some other app while attempting to land a new bookmark?
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2020 at 1:10am by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - May 17th, 2020 at 1:36am
Print Post  
OK, I understand.  You don't see the Duplicate Bookmark warning because you don't click the Add… menu item because you see before doing so that the proposed bookmark is wrong.

I shall study what might do that.  In the meantime, the next time this happens, proceed to click the Add… menu item and tell me if it adds the correct bookmark, or a duplicate.  In the former case, that would mean that only the title of the menu item is wrong.  This is not likely, but try it anyhow.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

MrX
Reply #4 - May 17th, 2020 at 1:03am
Print Post  
It's not the duplicate bookmark pop-up. . .  I see those enough to know the difference! LOL

The problem is that instead of bookmarking the current front website, the Add "URL" indicates that it is the URL for a website that I bookmarked earlier.  In other words, the current open webpage that has not been bookmarked is not the indicated URL.

I often have 6 or more tabs at the top of the Brave window.  For example, at the start of the day I have Brave open tabs for 7 websites I have saved in Brave's bookmarks in a folder titled "First Thing" that is in the browser frame directly below the URL window.  (Control-Click the folder and I can choose between Open All 7 in the current window, a new window or a Private window.)

This is an intermittent bug and I have not been able to identify any action(s) that cause it to occur.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - May 14th, 2020 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
That is the same way I tested it, using the Status Item, so it "works for me".

What do you mean by wants to bookmark the last website.  That would create a duplicate bookmark.  So it should present a small dialog window announcing Duplicates – You already have a bookmark to … dialog, asking if you want to Cancel, Keep Both, or Merge.  When this occurs, are you see that Duplicates dialog window?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

MrX
Reply #2 - May 14th, 2020 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
I always use the BookMacster Status Item to add bookmarks.  It's burned into my muscle memory after so many years using BookMacster.

The BookMacster Button extension is installed in Brave.

Are there any steps you would like me to do if the problem occurs again?

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2020 at 3:02am
Print Post  
I just tried landing five bookmarks from Brave into BookMacster and all arrived as expected.  I understand it is intermittent, so this is not surprising.  Which method do you use to land new bookmarks?

1.  BookMacster Status Item (aka menulet) in main menu bar.
2.  BookMacster's Dock menu.
3.  Global keyboard shortcut.
4.  BookMacster Button exension in Brave.
5.  BookMacsterize bookmarklet (not recommended any more)

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

MrX
Intermittent Brave Tab Bookmarking Bug
May 10th, 2020 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
After bookmarking a tabbed website and navigating to a new tabbed website, BookMacster will not bookmark the current website. Instead, it wants to bookmark the last website that I added to BookMacster.

I tried navigating between a half-dozen tabs and the problem persisted for a number of attempts.  And then BookMacster worked properly, bookmarking the new tabbed website.

This problem has occurred in recent weeks but since it is intermittent I haven't reported the bug when we were dealing with another issue. My apologies for not mentioning it before now.

Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6
BookMacster 2.10.24

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint