Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Problem with Safari Favorites/Bookmakrks (Read 6212 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Problem with Safari Favorites/Bookmakrks
Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
DHK wrote on Sep 26th, 2020 at 2:16pm:
This is curiouser & curiouser. I remembered that Synkmark kept versions of it's db (Great feature... thank you!)

Versions Browser is built into macOS, but it is only available if app developers store app data as macOS documents, as we do.

DHK wrote on Sep 26th, 2020 at 2:16pm:
and went and got the snapshots before and after the change. I can't figure out any this could have happened. I DID upgrade to the latest Safari recently, but I don't think this happened then... I don't see that new set of abbreviated favorites in the before shot.

Well, I can tell you that those 12 bookmarks {Apple, iCloud, Yahoo … TripAdvisor} are the 12 bookmarks which Safari creates by default in a new macOS user account.  They have been the same 12 for many years.  As far as trying to understand what caused Safari to inject these 12 bookmarks, I don't think that is possible.  There are too many moving parts in the equations.  You should just make sure your Safari bookmarks are rebuilt from scratch as I recommended yesterday.  For your case, the short version of "rebuild" is: Delete all bookmarks and folders in Safari, wait a while to ensure that none return, then export your good Collection from Synkmark.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

DHK
Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
This is curiouser & curiouser. I remembered that Synkmakr kept versions of it's db (Great feature... thank you!) and went and got the snapshots before and after the change. I can't figure out any this could have happened. I DID upgrade to the latest Safari recently, but I don't think this happened then... I don't see that new set of abbreviated favorites in the before shot.

https://www.wticalumni.com/DHK/Synkmark/Synkmark_Before_Problem.jpeg

https://www.wticalumni.com/DHK/Synkmark/Synkmark_After_Problem.jpeg

IP Logged

DHK
Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 2:19am
Print Post  
What I did luckily didn't give me any problems... other than find a sick Time Machine raid box. I ended up following your suggestion about deleting the "Favorites" and moving my bookmarks into that folder in Synkmark, and at the moment all's right with the bookmarks. I do have to look at the versions of Synkmark and try and see if I can tell when the change happened, but that's for tomorrow. It's been a long day here on the East Coast!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 2:03am
Print Post  
restoring a Time Machine copy of bookmarks?  Restoring the ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist file can cause your iCloud to throw a fit, maybe even if you have not switched on in System Preferences > iCloud > Safari.  If you did that, you should rebuild your Safari bookmarks before switching on Syncing in any of our apps.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

DHK
Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2020 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks so much, that made life simpler. I was trying to restore a time machine copy of bookmarks, and then discovered time machine only went back 2 days as a raid system that should have had 5 years of data seems to have failed... all drives are mounted but disk utility isn't happy.

DHK

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2020 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Hello, DHK.

Thank you for contacting us.  I should have replied to this yesterday, because I think it is actually siimple, not complicated as it appeared at first glance  Smiley

For whatever reason, you have now have two Favorites, the real Favorites and a fake Favorites.

The real Favorites has the "★" in Safari and its name appears in italics in Synkmark.   The items in your real Favorites appear in your bookmarks toolbar, which is what you call the horizontal bar.  (Actually I like your name better but Apple makes up the names in this world.)  In Synkmark's Help Book, we classify the real Favorites as a hard folder in Safari, because you cannot delete it.

The fake Favorites has the regular folder icon in Safari and its name appears in regular font in Synkmark.   The items in your fake Favorites do not appear in your bookmarks toolbar.  In Synkmark's Help Book, we classify such a regular, normal folder as a soft folder in Safari, meaning that you can delete it.

I think what you want is to get your items back into your horizontal bar and get rid of the 12 items which are there now.  If I have understood that correctly, here are the steps to accomplish that…

• Run Synkmark.
• Expand the real Favorites folder.
• Select and delete the 12 items (Apple, iCloud, Yahoo, etc.) which you do not want.
• Expand the fake Favorites folder.
• Move all items in the fake Favorites folder into the real Favorites folder.  The easiest way to do this is to collapse all of the items by holding down the option key and clicking the disclosure triangle, then release the option key and click the disclosure triangle again, then select all of the items using a shift-click to extend the selection, then either drag and drop or use a secondary click to get the contextual menu and then Move to….  (The selection steps work the same in any Mac app with a standard outline view.)
• Delete the now-empty fake Favorites folder.
• Click in the menu: File > Export to all.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

DHK
Problem with Safari Favorites/Bookmakrks
Sep 24th, 2020 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
This morning I discovered a problem in my Safari (& Chrome & Firefox) bookmarks, that are kept in sync with Synkmark.

Yesterday I had what I called bookmarks show up in the horizontal bar in all three browsers. Today in my research I found that Apple had put these in a "Favorites" folder.

This morning I found that my "bookmarks" were in a favorite folder (which of course could always have been named that, I just never paid attention to the name), and a Favorites folder (indicated with a star) had favorites showing up in that horizontal bar.

I've torn my hair out going through settings and preferences, and cannot get the contents of the favorites folder back on that horizontal bar.

I'm attaching screen prints of:
1) favorites/bookmarks side bar in Safari
2) same info in the Synkmark sidebar
3) the horizontal "favorites" bar in Safari that now begins with "Apple" ... instead of "Drumlin" ... as it used to.

I understand this most likely has nothing to do with Synkmark other than the syncing between different browsers, but hoped that the knowledge of people on this forum might help me.

I don't care what name these items are called, but would like them in that horizontal bar. If I have to delete the contents of "Favorites (starred) and replace with my "bookmarks", no problem, except for how it will sync with the other browsers.

Thanks.

I can't seem to get pix in this post, so here are the links:

https://www.wticalumni.com/DHK/Synkmark/Safari_Side_Bar.png
https://www.wticalumni.com/DHK/Synkmark/Synkmark_info.png
https://www.wticalumni.com/DHK/Synkmark/Safari_Favorites_Bar.png

Had problems with the links, but they should be ok now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint