Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Synkmark.bmco file empty! (Read 3363 times)
camner
Re: Synkmark.bmco file empty!
Reply #2 - May 28th, 2021 at 3:23am
Print Post  
Thanks!  That did it quite nicely!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Synkmark.bmco file empty!
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2021 at 2:02am
Print Post  
Hello, camner.

Thank you for contacting us.  Since that file was created in 2018 and was apparently OK until recently, I would first try the macOS Versions Browser.  To do that,

• Activate that empty Synkmark.bmco window.
• Click in the menu: File > Revert to > Browse All Versions.

Scroll back in time by clicking the up arrow button to the bottom right of the right-side window which appears.  When you see a version which shows your bookmarks intact, click Restore.

If the Versions Browser does not scroll back far enough in time to show your bookmarks, try Time Machine…

• Hold down the command key on your keyboard.
• Click the title of the window (Synkmark.bmco).
• Click the first item in the menu which appears (BookMacster).  A Finder window will open.
• Quit Synkmark.
• Click the Time Machine icon in the main menu, Enter Time Machine, and restore the file Synkmark.bmco from several different dates, then see which is the latest one that has your bookmarks intact.
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2021 at 3:49am by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

camner
Synkmark.bmco file empty!
May 25th, 2021 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
I noticed that two of my browsers (Safari & Firefox) didn't agree with Chrome's (my principal browser) bookmarks.  I opened Synkmark, and it prompted me to add browsers (none were selected), and the Synkmark.bmco file was empty!

Now, for me, Synkmark is one of those app that just run the background, and I don't check very often if anything seems to be amiss, so I don't know when this happened.  FWIW, I did upgrade from. Catalina to Big Sur within the last week, which may or may not be coincidental. (I checked, and Synkmark has Full Disk Access in Big Sur.)

Looking at the date/time stamp on Synkmark.bmco, it was created on 4/16/18 and has a modification date of 4/28/21.

I have Synkmark keep 15 days of backups (which I don't know how to access), and, of course, I have Time Machine backups going well back.

I'd appreciate any tips on how to recover from this (beyond the brute force method of starting all over by adding the browsers and importing from Chrome, & hoping that neither Safari nor Firefox had any bookmark changes to them after whatever happened to Synkmark.bmco).

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2021 at 9:13pm by camner »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint