Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) BookMacster agent cannot talk to Microsoft Edge (Read 4301 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: BookMacster agent cannot talk to Microsoft Edge
Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2021 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
The Nil Bar error can only occur when importing or exporting while Firefox is running.  I don't see why but I would like to know if there is something we can fix to prevent it.  Probably there is something wrong or special in your Firefox bookmarks.

First of all, confirm that the problem is repeatable today – in other words, try it again and verify that the same error occurs.

Then, if wouldn't mind sending me your data, I'd like to try and reproduce the problem.  To send me this data,

• Run BookMacster.
• Click in the menu: Help ▸ Trouble Zipper
• For Question X (Extra Extension Tests), answer "No"
• For Question B (Bookmarks and Documents), answer "Include Bookmarks and Documents"
• In the list which appears, choose "Firefox"
• For Question A (All Firefox Data), answer "Only bookmarks"
• In the "Please explain..." section, leave it blank unless you have more information to tell.
• Dropbox or me the resulting .zip, as instructed (or if you are using Apple's Mail.app you can attached it to an email and use Apple's MailDrop).

After you have packaged or not the data, if you want a workaround, try to import or export while Firefox is not running (switch on the checkbox to do not launch Firefox.  The operation will probably succeed and, after an export if that is what you wanted to do, there is a small chance that it will work after that even if Firefox is running, because the export will have changed or corrected whatever was wrong or special.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

pseudoelvis
Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2021 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Hi Jerry,

The Edge extension re-installation did the trick, syncing perfectly now. Thank you!

Ready to work on Firefox when you are.

-pseudoelvis

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2021 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Responding to your second message,

• Indeed, this is unrelated to Full Disk Access.
• Creating a new Collection will not help.

Tell me how reinstalling the extension in Edge works, and then we shall work on the Firefox ieeus.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2021 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Hello, pseudoelvis.

First of all, thank you for using all of the tools and running the tests  Smiley

I just updated my Edge installation and then tested this on my system with all of the same versions you have.  It works for me.

It was a good idea to try and reinstall.  But to do that you must uninstall first.

• Make Edge the active app.
• Click in menu: Microsoft Edge > Microsoft Edge Extensions.
• At the bottom of the BookMacster Sync card, click Remove and affirm your intention.

Now you can re-activate BookMacster and the Install button should work.

Some background information: In addition to prompting you to install the extension into Edge, that button also installs a so-called Native Messaging Host file which tells the extension how to find BookMacster and vice versa.  It is located at this path in your Home folder:

~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft Edge/NativeMessagingHosts/com.sheepsystems.chromessenger.json

Probably that file is missing or is containing outdated information, and reinstalling will fix it.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

pseudoelvis
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2021 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Well for more fun, Firefox is also failing with the following error: 'Decoded JSON does not meet expectation.  Nil Bar' Firefox passes the plugin test, however.

Chrome profiles and Safari sync perfectly.

Just for S&G, I created a new collection and tried to separately import and export to it. Same error.

Also rebooted BkmxAgent, and went in and manually added it to the 'Full Disk Access' profile JIC that was contributing to the problem, but no luck.

-pseudoelvis

IP Logged

pseudoelvis
BookMacster agent cannot talk to Microsoft Edge
Nov 5th, 2021 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Hi, plugin v45 and BookMacster v2.12, MS Edge Version 95.0.1020.44 (Official build)

I cannot sync my bookmarks to my MS Edge profile.

Edge profiles show as '45 (OK) Loaded' in 'Manage Browser Extensions' pane, but when I test I get the Red X and 'No Response from Edge' message. I checked the profile, checked it was the only active profile, and checked that the plugin was active in Edge. If I click install, the system opens the Chrome web store which shows the plugin is installed and is version 45.

I checked that BookMacster has full disk access permissions in Security & Privacy preference pane.

Quit and restart BookMacster doesn't help. Quit Edge, shows '45 (OK) (Not Loaded)', then goes back to  '45 (OK) Loaded' when edge is restarted.

Thoughts on what is going on?

-pseudoelvis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint