Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Version 3 now available, but Error 208346 etc. (Read 9968 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Version 3 now available, but Error 208346 etc.
Reply #11 - Sep 14th, 2022 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
THANK YOU for your patience, thoughts, prayers or whatever.  During the last hour we've confirmed that we have a workaround for the apparent bug in Apple's build tools which caused the bug explained in my previous post.

We shall need several hours (say, 6 hours maximum) to implement the workaround, and test, build and ship our new versions.  After that, when you click in the main menu under the application name > Check for Update, you should get BookMacster 3.0.1, Synkmark 3.0.1, or  Smarky 3.0.1.  These new versions shall restore syncing operation and fix the Error 208346 and related errors.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Version 3 now available
Reply #10 - Sep 14th, 2022 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Our apologies to all.  In our rush to respond to Apple's surprise release of Safari 16 in macOS 11 and 12, we did not notice a major problem with Apple's build tools, and as a result many users are getting Error 208346 and related issues if they are using Syncing in BookMacster 3.0, Synmark 3.0 or Smarky 3.0.  We are working to resolve it.

Version 3.0 is OK except for automatic syncing.  Please ignore the error and/or leave Syncing disabled until we fix the issue and you update to Version 3.0.1.  You may sync your bookmarks manually using the menu commands File > Import followed by File > Export.

Due to the data migration in version 3, reverting to version 2 would be very cumbersome and then you'd have the incompatibility with Safari 16, which is why you upgraded to version 3.

Thank you for your support and patience.  So far, we have tried a dozen or workarounds for the issue in Apple's build tools, but no luck.  Sooner or later, we shall get lucky.  We shall fix this one way or another. 

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Telma
Reply #9 - Sep 14th, 2022 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Same problem on my side after install Synkmark V3. Nothing now works.
Error 145725
Error 208346

When I try "manage browser extension", it tells me ""No response from Chrome"" despite extension being installed (even after uninstall/install)

I would like to come back to previous version, but unable to find it. Could you please help?

IP Logged

TastyTofu
Reply #8 - Sep 14th, 2022 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Some additional info:

On my desktop, running Big Sur 11.7, I updated BookMacster to v3.0. The "Manage Browser Extensions" test then returned "Could not deserialize version" for Firefox and Chrome. I uninstalled and re-installed the plugins and now have the same problem there - the app is unable to communicate with either plugin.

On this machine BkmxAgent is in the full disk access list and enabled. I tried removing and re-adding it but it made no difference.

IP Logged

TastyTofu
Reply #7 - Sep 14th, 2022 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Thanks Jerry.

Curiously the MyStuff~.bmco package was in the DropBox folder when I first started version 3 and it asked me if I wanted to open a recent collection (I saw it in the Open dialogue). However, it disappeared from there immediately afterwards and I then found it in the DropBox Trash. It's not clear whether it was moved there by v2 or v3 (but not by me!).

I restored it to a local folder and tried opening it with both version 3 and version 2. Neither can open it. Version 2 gives error 256, version 3 gives error 260. Both say that persistentStore cannot be opened. So I guess the backup was also corrupted in the upgrade process.

I next attempted to create a new collection and export Chrome (on my laptop, which is running v3) to that collection, as Chrome has my complete bookmarks set in it. This generated an error that BookMacster could not communicate with the browser plugin. I tried restarting Chrome. I tried uninstalling and re-installing the extension. Still no communication.

I then decided to try a complete uninstall and re-install of BookMacster, including removing browser plugins from Chrome and Firefox. I created a new collection with the fresh copy of v3 and selected to only sync Chrome initially. BookMacster read in Chrome's bookmarks correctly (no plugin installed at this stage so I assume it reads the bookmark data directly from Chrome's store). I then added plugins for Chrome and Firefox, however when I test the plugins, both fail - they show status of "45 (OK) (loaded)" but then "No response from <browser>". I'm guessing this might be a permissions problem? The BookMacster app has full disk access but the sync agent isn't listed in the "full disk access" permissions/privacy list. I seem to remember having to add it there previously to get Safari syncing to work.

When I attempt a sync, Firefox and Chrome fail, as expected, but Safari syncs successfully. I get an error 145725, followed by a series of 208346 errors.

I'm running Monterey 12.6, Safari 16.0, Firefox 104.0.2, Chrome 105.0.5195.125.

Any suggestions how to get the Firefox and Chrome plugins working? Thanks!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2022 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
I wonder if maybe Dropbox was editing files between your Macs while BookMacster was upgrading the data, and we stepped on one another somehow.  Let's try to upgrade your .bmco document package again, without Dropbox.

The old .bmco package should be in the same folder as the current .bmco package, with a tilde appended to the filename.  For example, after upgrading, on my disk, I see:

MyStuff.bmco     <-- package upgraded to version 3
MyStuff~.bmco    <-- original package, renamed with "~"

Copy the original package to a folder which is not being synced by Dropbox, maybe your Desktop, and doubleclick it.  Do you see your prior bookmarks Content now?
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2022 at 10:28pm by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

TastyTofu
Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2022 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
I'm afraid that didn't go very well.

I followed the earlier instructions to update manually - quit BookMacster, dragged the old version to the Trash, moved the new version (3.0) to the Applications folder. I opened it from there and was prompted to either create a new collection or open a recent one.

I clicked the recent option, navigated to my bmco file in DropBox and opened that. I then had to re-enable Full Syncing. I then initiated a sync and got a warning that 3,513 of my bookmarks were going to be deleted! That was followed by a warning that the sync agent was not running.

I tried a reboot to see if that fixed the sync agent problem but no joy. It's still not running.

Sure enough, on checking the Content tab I have no bookmarks in my collection at all!

On my other Mac, BookMacster (v2.12.8) flags that it cannot open my collection because its version is not supported.

The actual bmco file on DropBox is 2.1MB in size so I assume there is data in it, just not accessible to either v3.0 or v2.12.8.

Any suggestions where I go from here and where I should look for the version 2 file that was hopefully preserved before the update?

IP Logged

TastyTofu
Re: Version 3 now available but must download manually
Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2022 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks very much for the quick response, Jerry.
Downloading it now.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2022 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Thank you for your patience.  Yes, Apple surprised us and jumped the gun on Safari 16.  Anyhow, after a couple long days and nights, BookMacster 3.0, Synkmark 3.0 and Smarky 3.0 are now available.  To get them, launch an old version and click in the main menu under the app's name: Check for Update.

In case you click through the "Check for Update" window without reading (like the kids do), please take a moment to appreciate the following important information regarding version 3.0:

Version 3.0 of our apps is free to run until October 31, 2022.  We plan to publish updates before October 31, and at some point there will be a payment required for an upgrade license, of course with exception for recent purchasers.

Running Version 3 of our apps will upgrade your application data to a more secure format.  Apple has stated that some future macOS version will no longer allow data in the old format to be opened, so you'll need to do this sooner or later anyhow.  Your old data will be preserved on disk by Version 3.0, but files will be renamed so that if you need to revert to Version 2 of our apps for some odd reason, you'll need some help from us.

Sincerely,

Jerry Krinock
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2022 at 7:40pm by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

TastyTofu
Re: BookMacster Catch 22
Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2022 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Same problem here. Safari 16 released with the latest updates to both Big Sur and Monterey.

Hopefully BookMacster v3 will be available shortly. Great app, btw!!  Smiley

IP Logged

ralfska
Re: BookMacster Catch 22
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2022 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. Embarrassed
When can we expect an alpha or a beta version of BookMacster 3?

IP Logged

Lew
Version 3 now available, but Error 208346 etc.
Sep 13th, 2022 at 11:35am
Print Post  
I am using BookMacster 2.12.8 on an M1 MacBook Pro running macOS 12.6.  The latest version of macOS includes Safari 16.0.

BookMacster 2.12.8 will not run with Safari 16.0 installed under macOS 12.6 and has stopped syncing on my computer.  I cannot update the operating system since macOS Ventura is not yet available.  It appears I'm in a catch 22 situation.

I receive the following error:

Error: 101093

This version of BookMacster cannot access
                       bookmarks of Safari 16 or later. (Safari 16 is
                       part of macOS 13.)

Suggestion to Fix this Error:

If you want to import or export bookmarks of
                       Safari 16 or later, you must upgrade to
                       BookMacster version 3 or later. (Safari 16 is
                       part of macOS 13.)

I cannot find BookMaster v3 on your website.

What are my options to get BookMacster running?
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2022 at 5:25pm by Jerry Krinock »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint