Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Agent for Chrome extension did not respond (Read 3110 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Agent for Chrome extension did not respond
Reply #9 - Jan 14th, 2023 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Well, as you can see from reading the hundreds of posts on this forum over the years, people have had issues, which have been resolved.

Although I can't think of any such cases in this forum, I do recall cases over the years where some people told us, as you have, but in private support emails that the effort they thought it would take to resolve an issue was not worth the benefit, and so they uninstalled our software.

There are thousands of Mac apps available which I do not have on my computer.  Not every Mac app is for every Mac user.  Smiley

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Roman
Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2023 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Do you leave Chrome running all the time? Yes, of course.
Do you leave Firefox running all the time? Yes, of course.

I don't even turn off the laptop, I just put it to sleep.
The application was also quit during operation as recommended.

P.S. I would like to ask, am I really the only one whose synchronization doesn't work? If so, that's very strange.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
I would not expect Synkmark to behave any differently, because Synkmark uses the same stuff under the hood to do syncing as BookMacster.  Synkmark is just BookMacster with a simplified user interface.

Also, the same extensions and code are used to sync Chrome and Firefox, when they are running.  So I am wondering:

Do you leave Chrome running all the time?
Do you leave Firefox running all the time?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Roman
Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
After a few days of testing, trying and terminating the free license, I unfortunately cancelled the installation of the latest version of BookMacster. The level of functionality is very low. Despite following the rules and recommendations, there is still an unreliable transfer of bookmarks on one laptop between Collection, Safari, Firefox and especially Chrome (in the case of Chrome, BkmxAgent keeps dropping out). I use a standard macOS installation and always the latest versions of the browsers.
Relatively good results are perhaps only between Safari-Firefox.

I regret this because this is an application I really need Sad

The question whether it makes sense to test Synkmark yet whether the synchronization would not behave better?

Roman

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2023 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Roman wrote on Jan 10th, 2023 at 11:21am:
Yes, the test is now successful but in the past days the obšas reported an error…I tried to follow your help https://sheepsystems.com/files/support_articles/bkmx/browser-ext-fails.html
Please understand that help is only useful if the Test of the browser extension fails.

b) After typing "ps -alxww | grep Chromess | grep -v grep", sometimes it shows that both agents (Firefox, Chrome) are active but sometimes the Chrome agent is missing.
The Chrome agent is expected to be missing if Chrome is not running.  Also, I've seen it take 5-10 seconds for it to show up after Chrome launches.

However, even if I follow the recommendation to quit BookMacster during operation and wait longer than a few minutes before opening other browsers, sometimes changes between Safari and Firefox still don't transfer (even to Collection).
Ah, then, you've moved on to a different issue.  The help for that is our Top Reasons for Syncing Trouble.

I'm not in IT and also unfortunately don't have enough time to debug a program for several days.
I understand.  Unfortunately, syncing bookmarks among different web browsers requires a non-zero number of moving parts.  Our app Synkmark, which is narrowly focused on syncing browsers, is simpler to configure than BookMacster.  Synkmark still requires browser extensions, but if your extensions Test is passing, you are past that issue.

I'll try to give it a few more days before the free license expires.
OK, I understand.  Users can click the Demo/Trial button after the first 3 days expires, to get 3 more days, and after that, click the button to request from us an even further extension.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Roman
Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2023 at 11:21am
Print Post  
1. a) Yes you are right, I meant "extension".
b) Yes, the test is now successful but in the past days the obšas reported an error.

2. OK, I understand that the extension icon may be greyed out. Of course the "BookMacster Sync" card in Chrome's Extensions window is colored.

I tried to follow your help https://sheepsystems.com/files/support_articles/bkmx/browser-ext-fails.html.

a) In the case of the first point of the Developer mode Chrome help, the image matches my condition.
b) After typing "ps -alxww | grep Chromess | grep -v grep", sometimes it shows that both agents (Firefox, Chrome) are active but sometimes the Chrome agent is missing.
I haven't gotten to the next testing point yet.

However, even if I follow the recommendation to quit BookMacster during operation and wait longer than a few minutes before opening other browsers, sometimes changes between Safari and Firefox still don't transfer (even to Collection).

I'm not in IT and also unfortunately don't have enough time to debug a program for several days. I assumed that the application should work in the base although I understand that sometimes the problem can occur. I'll try to give it a few more days before the free license expires.

Thank you for your help

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2023 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Roman wrote on Jan 9th, 2023 at 11:31am:
I have indeed repeatedly reinstalled the agent just as you describe.
I presume you mean you repeatedly reinstalled the extension.  (Sorry to be picky about terminology, but I shall give you the wrong answer if I dont understand correctly.)

Does the "Test" succeed?  Do you get a happy white checkmark in a green circle a few seconds after clicking the "Test" button?

Roman wrote on Jan 9th, 2023 at 11:31am:
Interestingly the Chrome extensions settings show the agent as "greyed out".
It depends what you mean by "Chrome extensions settings".  The BookMacster Sync icon in the Chrome toolbar does appear as gray because it does not have any actions.  However, the "BookMacster Sync" card in the Chrome's Extensions window should be fully active and colorful.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Roman
Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2023 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Hello Jerry,

Unfortunately, I have indeed repeatedly reinstalled the agent just as you describe.
The BkmxAgent is of course set to full disk access. In Firefox, the agent behaves correctly.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2023 at 6:09pm by Roman »  

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2023 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Hello, Roman.

You said that reinstalling the agent did not help.  I think maybe you rebooted the agent BkmxAgent.  Indeed, that will not help with this issue.  You should uninstall and then reinstall the Sync extension into Google Chrome.  To do that,

• Activate Google Chrome.
• If you have more than one Profile in Chrome, ensure that you are working in a window assigned to the Default profile, which is where the error says the trouble is.
• Click in the main menu: Window > Extensions.
• Remove the BookMacster Sync extension
• Activate BookMacster.
• Click in the main menu: BookMacster > Manage Browser Extensions…
• Click the button to Install the Sync extension into Chrome or Chrome (Default).
• Follow all of the instructions, in particular the last step, which is to retun to BookMacster and Test the extension.

If the test indicates success, the problem should be resolved.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Roman
Agent for Chrome extension did not respond
Jan 7th, 2023 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Error: 145725
Our Chrome extension did not respond Interapp messaging error : Server port (com.sheepsystems.BookMacster.ExtoreChrome.Default.ToClient) not found)
Reinstalling the agent didn't help.
BookMacster, Mac OS Ventura 13.1, Chrome Verze 108.0.5359.124.

**Key: Timestamp
   Value: 2023-01-07 17:24:58
   **Key: NSLocalizedDescription
   Value: Our Chrome extension did not respond
   **Key: Clientoid
   Value: Chrome|Default|thisUser|||+ALIAS=
   **Key: dontStopOthersIfError
   Value: 1
   **Key: SSYOperationGroup
   Value: Export01(Chrome)
   **Key: dontPauseSyncing
   Value: 1
   **Key: NSUnderlyingError
   Value:    NSError 0x60000382abb0
   ***     code: 653041
   ***   domain: SSYInterappClientErrorDomain
   *** userInfo:
      **Key: Tx Header Byte
      Value: i
      **Key: Port Name
      Value: com.sheepsystems.BookMacster.ExtoreChrome.Default.ToClient
      **Key: Tx Timeout (secs)
      Value: 10
      **Key: Rx Timeout (secs)
      Value: 91.127
      **Key: Tx Data Byte Count
      Value: 0
      **Key: NSLocalizedDescription
      Value: Interapp messaging error : Server port (com.sheepsystems.BookMacster.ExtoreChrome.Default.ToClient) not found

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint