Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Running separate sync lists (Read 1335 times)
Craiglea
Re: Running separate sync lists
Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2023 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Aug 21st, 2023 at 11:05pm:
The simplest fix would be for you to activate the window of the Collection which you've put the least time and effort into, and then click in the main menu: File > Close and Trash.  Then create a new Collection by clicking in the menu: File > New Collection.

Thanks for that. It worked exactly as described and it was really interesting that duplicating in Finder and then editing was the root cause.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2023 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
From looking at the screenshots you sent, I think the problem is that when you add or remove a Client in Collection #1, the same change appears in Collection #2.

And I've reproduced that problem.  It occurs if you make a copy of the .bmco document package using a file manager such as the Finder.  To verify this, open Collection #1 and click in the main menu: Bookmarks > Document Information.  In the sheet which opens, note the Unique Identifier near the bottom.  Do the same with Collection #2.  If the Unique Identifier is the same as in Collection #1, that is the problem.  Our apps use the Unique Identifier to associate a Collection with its Local Settings.  Same identifier means same Local Settings.

The simplest fix would be for you to activate the window of the Collection which you've put the least time and effort into, and then click in the main menu: File > Close and Trash.  Then create a new Collection by clicking in the menu: File > New Collection.

There is an alternative fix which would retain all data (except the Local Settings of course), but it is quite complicated.  I shall not explain that alternative unless you really want it because you have put substantial time and effort into both Collections, which I think is unlikely.

If you want to copy the Content (bookmarks and folders) from one Collection to a New Collection, create the New Collection as Empty, then use copy/paste, drag-and-drop, or perform a secondary click on selected items and from the contextual menu use Copy to….

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Craiglea
Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2023 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
I'll reply by email as I'm not sure how to share an image here.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2023 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Hello, Craiglea.  Thank you for contacting us.

Any setting in the Settings tab of a .bmco Collection document window should affect only that Collection.  This includes the Local settings.  In fact, the Local Settings are even more restricted: Local Settings will not propagate if you open that Collection in another Macintosh user account and/or on another Mac.

Maybe I'm not understanding the whole picture there.

What are the Clients in your Collection #1?
What are the Clients in Collection #2?

Give me an example or two of a setting which you see being reflected between collections.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Craiglea
Running separate sync lists
Aug 21st, 2023 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Up till now I’ve run a single list of bookmarks that’s synced everywhere. Now I’d like to split them across two *.bmco files with different destinations.

1. Syncs pinboard to a local Bookmacster file.

2. Syncs bookmarks to and from browsers.

Although each file has its own ‘clients’ tab any changes made to one are reflected in the other. Is there anyway to have specific settings for each document?

I assume this is something to do with the note and help file that ‘These are "Local" Settings’

Thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint