Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Having Safari's Reading List in Chrome (Read 925 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Having Safari's Reading List in Chrome
Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2023 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Hello again, Squire.

Yes, you are correct on both points.  The Chrome developers built that Reading List extension into Chrome 89.  But they have not provided an API (also in Chrome 118 its icon no longer appears in the Bookmarks Bar).

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

SquirePinto
Re: Having Safari's Reading List in Chrome
Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2023 at 3:44am
Print Post  
Hi Jerry.

Thank you for pointing me toward the manual on mappings. It is just what I need. In fact, the provided example is exactly what I asked for!

I am reasonably sure that Chrome now has a reading list, as I  have only two extensions - a password manager and the Synkmark extension. I only discovered the reading list within the last few months, so I think it’s fairly new. Here’s the help page: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/7343019?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDeskt...

I was curious so I did some quick google research, and it seems like there’s no API for it, but it might be on the way. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/68679738/does-the-chrome-api-provide-a-way-t... . Interestingly, that question is from 2021, so perhaps the feature has been around on Windows for longer. I only found it recently though.

Thanks again for your help, and for the great product with detailed documentation.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Having Safari's Reading List in Chrome
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2023 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Hello, Sqreui.

Chrome does not have a built-in Reading List like Safari, although there is a Chrome extension named Reading List which you are probably referring to.  As you guessed, we don't have access to that.  But we can fulfill your other proposed alternative…

To create a pseudo-Reading-List in Chrome, which would reflect Safari's Reading List, configure a pair of Tag ⇔ Folder Mappings as described in this Help Book Section.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

SquirePinto
Having Safari's Reading List in Chrome
Oct 21st, 2023 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
I use Safari as my default browser on my iPhone and iPad, but Chrome is my default browser on my Mac. Pages added to the Safari Reading list will appear as Other Bookmarks in Chrome, and pages added to the Chrome reading list aren't synced at all.

Rather than ignoring the Reading List, I'd love it if the Reading Lists could by synced too. I don't know anything about the Chrome extension API, so I don't know if that's possible, but it would be a great feature. If it's not possible, I'd like it if Synkmark could create a folder in Chrome called "Safari Reading List", and add the reading list pages there rather than as unorganized top-level items (or Other Bookmarks).
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2023 at 11:26pm by Jerry Krinock »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint