Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Quitting vs Hiding (Read 543 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Quitting vs Hiding
Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2024 at 5:27am
Print Post  
nic wrote on Sep 22nd, 2024 at 1:53pm:
Anyway, what I am curious about is how does the BkmxAgent restart when the Mac restarts?

When you enable any Syncing, BookMacster registers BkmxAgent as a *service* with macOS.  macOS has a list of such services which persists through shutdown and restart.  When you log in to your Mac, ist starts all of these registered services.

nic wrote on Sep 22nd, 2024 at 1:53pm:
I see nothing in Launch control or login items (yes login items has BookMacster in the allow in the background section. But to the best of my knowledge, that doesn't start the app. And I am sure it hasn't restarted with other Mac restarts in the past.

You are correct about not starting BookMacster.  The fine print under Allow in the Background in System Settings > Login Items and Extensions explains this, although in confusing general terms.  It says that the listed apps can add background items to perform tasks.  Often, but not always, that item is a constantly-running process such as BkmxAgent, which you can see in Activity Monitor.  Other such  items may be processes which only run momentarily when certain triggers occur.  Other items may be some type of magic which Apple has not invented or publicly released yet.   Apple likes to keep their options open.  That fine print text is trying to cover all possibilities with as few words as possible.

By the way, before macOS 14, these Allow in the Background items were not exposed to the user at all, which I thought was a security flaw, so I think the Allow in the Background list is a good improvement.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

nic
Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2024 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
I've been making the same mistake, and I do see some earlier posts. This is not clear in the documentation.

Anyway, what I am curious about is how does the BkmxAgent restart when the Mac restarts?

I see nothing in Launch control or login items (yes login items has BookMacster in the allow in the background section. But to the best of my knowledge, that doesn't start the app. And I am sure it hasn't restarted with other Mac restarts in the past.

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2024 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Hello again, Bruce.

You should quit BookMacster after it is configured for syncing among the built-in bookarks of web browsers.   Hiding BookMacster is an option for users who choose to land bookmarks into BookMacster directly.  Although you can do both, it is most sensible for users choose one and never do the other.
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2024 at 9:38pm by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

BruceInLouisville
Quitting vs Hiding
May 26th, 2024 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
I know I have asked this before, but I want to be sure, so I’m asking again. (Senior moment)

After opening BookMacster and import/export to make sure everything is copacetic, what happens if I Quit Bookmacster? Does the syncing continue? Or, should I Hide instead?

I rely on BookMacster to keep things synced. I very occasionally open the UI window to do some bookmark housecleaning. And, it is in my Login items un “Allow in Background.”

So, best practice is ...?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint