Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Merging folder trees (Read 9827 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Merging folder trees
Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2009 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
There were several bugs in Delete All.  Regarding the tree merge, which we call Merge Folders, it was in there, but was picking folders from the database in random sequence instead of recursively from the root.  Eeek.  So, sometimes they got merged, but more often, did not.

These issues are now fixed and will be released in version 0.1.7.  Also, the new version of BookMacster Help in 0.1.7 will explain, in sec. 2.8.3, which folder gets precedence during Merge Folders.

Thanks again for the bug report!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Merging folder trees
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2009 at 6:42am
Print Post  
Thank you, dk.  I'll investigate these issues.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

dk
Merging folder trees
Nov 14th, 2009 at 3:51am
Print Post  
Jerry, thanks for the new BookMacster 0.1.6 update.

Tried creating a bookshelf for Camino + Safari.  Both browsers started with large, heavily overlapping hierarchies of bookmarks (originally replicated by Bookdog, but long since somewhat diverged).

1. Possible bug:

Running "Find Duplicates" (ignoring duplicates in different hard folders) reveals hundreds of duplicates.  But running "Delete All Duplicates" still leaves many duplicates.  Running "Find Duplicates" again does not find them.  As far as I can tell, the remaining unfound duplicates are all in subfolders, i.e., not in the root folder.

2. Possible design issue:

When merging lots of deep folder hierarchies from multiple browser collections, it would really be useful to have some way to specify (a) the order of precedence given to each of the original browser collection's hierarchies, and (b) an option to merge folders from different browsers with the same name at the same hierarchy level instead of duplicating all the folders (i.e., do a top-down tree merge).

Bookdog's directionality inherently provided a way to influence these precedences.  Not sure how to do this in BookMacster.  (Or am I overlooking some existing BookMacster feature that already addresses these problems...?)  Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint