Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Opera Trash Hard Folder (Read 5079 times)
Richard Reeve
Re: Opera Trash Hard Folder
Reply #2 - May 25th, 2010 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Always ignore Trash on Opera imports sounds good to me...

Cheers,

Richard.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Opera Trash Hard Folder
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Nikolaos Anastopoulos wrote on Apr 7th, 2010 at 9:50pm:
Opera creates and uses a Trash hard? folder. Shouldn't there be a method not to replicate every folder or bookmark to every other browser?
You're saying add a "Don't Export to..." and then have a checkbox for each Client.  And if you'd mark a folder, such as Opera Trash, that would of course affect all of its descendants.  Yes, I can see the advantages to something like that, but disadvantages too.  Something involving potentially several checkboxes couldn't be shown in the Main Content View; it would need to be in the Inspector, where it's not going to be visible.  So if someone marks a bookmark to not be exported, forgets it, then three months later wonders why "it doesn't work".  I'll give it some thought but the don't make things too complicated voice inside me is ringing alarm bells.

Another way, which we already do with Separators, is to identify classes of items that are not exported.  We'd need to somehow identify items that are in Opera Trash, after they are in the Bookmarkshelf.  I can think of two methods (1) Identify a "Trash" hard folder in BookMacster.  (2) Add an attribute to items indicating "I came from Opera Trash - YES/NO".  If more browsers supported the concept of "Trash", then either of those might make sense.  But they're pretty complicated too, maybe even more so.

Since "Trash" is a unique feature of Opera, an easier method would be an option on Opera imports to "don't Import Trash items".  Or even easier, no option ... Always ignore Opera Trash on imports.  So you'd never see your Opera Trash or its contents in BookMacster, nor in any other browser.  How'd you like that?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Nikolaos Anastopoulos
Opera Trash Hard Folder
Apr 7th, 2010 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Opera creates and uses a Trash hard? folder. Shouldn't there be a method not to replicate every folder or bookmark to every other browser?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint