Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Strategies for syncing across multiple macs (Read 10699 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Strategies for syncing across multiple macs
Reply #7 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Indeed, the procedure outlined by Leo works, although as you can see it takes quite a few manualsteps.  BookMacster 1.1 will do this automatically.

Leo of BORG wrote on Jul 16th, 2010 at 1:20am:
3/ Open BookMacster's 'Camino.bmshelf', which is also pointed to the Dropbox folder, which got sync'd from the other machine.
Note that Mirror-Open is checked ON, so that Import occurs automatically.

Leo of BORG wrote on Jul 16th, 2010 at 1:20am:
ASIDE: I also do not use 'Agents' because I'm not connected to Dropbox all the time, and constantly changing files would cause too much 'chatter' or syncing. I *only* want the files to change when I change them...
Actually, it's worse than that.  Because BookMacster 1.0.3 writes some small data to the Bookmarkshelf after a change, this would trigger Dropbox to update the other end, and then the same thing happens there, and you end up with constant and infinite loop of changes, even if you don't change any bookmarks.  BookMacster 1.0.3 + Agents are simply not compatible with Dropbox.  Upcoming BookMacster 1.1 has this issue fixed.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Leo of BORG
Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 1:20am
Print Post  
Hi Daadma..

It's easier just to show you -- I point BookMacster to a Dropbox folder and use one file per browser.

I have two machines, but I could easily use 3 or 4 because Dropbox does all the synching whenever there are changes..and I never am using these machines at the same time.

Here's an example:

1/ Make some new bookmarks in Camino. Put them in some folders in Camino

2/ Open BookMacster's 'Camino.bmshelf', 'Import' note that +3 bookmarks were added. *SAVE*.

DropBox jumps into action, syncing this file to the cloud. Dropbox is showing those checkmarks to tell you that your files are up to date, otherwise they show mini looping arrows (meaning the files aren't ready for you to use yet).

Now... on my travel lappy ....

3/ Open BookMacster's 'Camino.bmshelf', which is also pointed to the Dropbox folder, which got sync'd from the other machine.

4/ 'Export' to Camino, and note the changes.

I basically do this with all of my browsers, of the files I use Safari and Camino get the most use.

ASIDE: I also do not use 'Agents' because I'm not connected to Dropbox all the time, and constantly changing files would cause too much 'chatter' or syncing. I *only* want the files to change when I change them...

Just my 2 yen. Keep the change.

-Leo

IP Logged

ockendoner
Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2010 at 8:02am
Print Post  
Cool! Thanks for the heads up.

K

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2010 at 10:46am
Print Post  
ockendoner wrote on Jun 28th, 2010 at 5:37am:
+1 wanting to know a strategy for syncing multiple macs.

k
Full integration with Dropbox is coming in BookMacster 1.1.  You'll click one button to move the Bookmarkshelf into the Dropbox (if it's not there already), and check a box in the new simplified Agents tab to listen for changes from the cloud and export them to all Client browsers.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

ockendoner
Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2010 at 5:37am
Print Post  
+1 wanting to know a strategy for syncing multiple macs.

k

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2010 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
I need to correct what I said yesterday about adding support for BookMacster to sync automatically via Dropbox.  It turns out that Dropbox is smart enough all by itself to synchronize files partially.  In other words, if you have a bookmarkshelf with 1000 bookmarks in it and change one, Dropbox picks out the changed bits from the file and only sends the changed bits over the network in a few seconds, instead of sending the whole file.  So all we have to do is put the Bookmarkshelf into the Dropbox folder, and Dropbox does all the hard work.  This is going to be much easier than I thought.

If anybody want some half-written flowcharts and code for syncing Core Data stores, let me know  Cheesy

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2010 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Hello daadma,

I was hoping maybe a real user would chime in, but I believe you are asking a question that no one has a definitive answer to.  So, here's the quick view from the lab.

Dropbox by itself may be good for syncing Safari bookmarks among computers, but not among browsers, if someday they fulfill their stated plans to allow items outside of your designated Dropbox folder to be synced.  You could simply sync your Safari bookmarks file, ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist.  However, if you tried this with other browsers you'd either lose bookmarks occasionally, or in the case of Firefox, corrupt the file or crash the browsers.  This is because other browsers don't allow you to mess with their bookmarks file while they are running.

Google Bookmarks is OK if you want to use the Google Bookmarks GUI to access your bookmarks.

I've tested Xmarks (formerly Foxmarks) for a couple of Bookdog users who thought there might be a conflict between Xmarks and Bookdog when Xmarks did weird things.  But we couldn't find any conflict.  As far as I could see, in theory and in practice, there was no conflict between Xmarks vs. Bookdog and Bookwatchdog.  BookMacster does the same stuff as far as bookmarks files are concerned, so the story with BookMacster should be the same.  In my brief testing, Xmarks did its limited job of synchronizing Safari and Firefox bookmarks across Macs with no trouble.

Finally, one user mentioned (I believed in the list archives) putting a BookMacster Bookmarkshelf file into a Dropbox and reported that it worked, as it should.  You'd have to manually read in the new Bookmarkshelf after a drop had occurred, for example, whenever you had modified the Bookmarkshelf on one Mac and then moved to your other Mac, and then, if desired, export to your browsers.  This is do-able for a disciplined user, and a moderately adept user who would also probably include it as part of their Mac-login AppleScript.  (BookMacster supports a 'perform agent' AppleScript command.)

We'd been planning on adding a Trigger to BookMacster agents which could trigger an export whenever an external app (Dropbox) dropped an updated Bookmarkshelf" as an Agent trigger.  That would make this scheme a little easier to do and more reliable.  But then yesterday after giving this from thought I instead started working on a much nicer "Keep synced to other other Macs on my Dropbox account" checkbox.  This would be much easier and also more efficient, since instead of sending the whole .bkmslf file any time a change was made, for small changes it would send only little messages via Dropbox encapsulating the changes.

So I'm going to get back to work on that now.  I'll post here if I get to a "milestone" one way or the other.  Thanks for the feedback.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

doug a
Strategies for syncing across multiple macs
May 20th, 2010 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
I am new to Bookmacster and I am syncing my bookmarks across several browsers on my desktop. I would also like to sync my bookmarks across one (or more) computers. It seems there are a number of ways to do this using sync utilities, dropbox, cloud based services (google/mobileme) or other syncing tools (xmarks).  Before embarking on a trial and error exercise, I would like to know what others recommend and if some of these strategies are "better/more efficient".

Cheers,

doug a

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint