Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Problems in Japanese environment (Read 4339 times)
toshin
Re: Problems in Japanese environment
Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2010 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Hi Jerry,

Thank you for your reply. I backed up the restored bookmarks and turned BookMacster synching on. It looks like things are working as they are supposed to this time. I will report to you with some data next time I encounter the problem.

For what it's worth, let me give you the details I can remember about the problem. I use Chrome, Firefox and Safari (all current versions), and the bookmarks of all these browsers were affected.

When I imported the bookmarks from these browsers into BookMacster, things looked ok (I didn't see any garbled characters). But, once they were exported back into the browsers, all the Japanese characters were garbled. I tried exporting a couple of times. Every time the bookmarks were exported into the browsers, exported bookmarks were just added to the list, instead of replacing the preexisting ones. So the garbled bookmarks kept getting multiplied. Also the folder structure seemed to have been messed up at first -- the first time the bookmarks were exported from BookMacster, wrong bookmark folders were thrown into the bookmark bar folder (the folders that were originally displayed on the bookmark bar were replaced by folders that was not in the bookmark bar folder).

I got panicked to see the result, so I went back to see the bookmark list in BookMacster and saw all the bookmarks there were also garbled.

I restored the bookmarks from a backup, but the bookmarks kept getting corrupted. At that point, I turned off all the synching with BookMacster.

But, as I said, it seems to be working for now, so I will see how it goes until the demo license expires in a couple of days.

-- Toshi

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Problems in Japanese environment
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2010 at 12:55am
Print Post  
Hello Toshi,

I'm not aware of this issue.  As far as I've ever seen, BookMacster handles Unicode characters properly in any bookmark or folder item names, tags, comments or descriptions.  Need more information on what browser, etc.  Does the garbling occur during an Import (OK in browser, bad in BookMacster) or during an Export (OK in BookMacster, bad in browser) ?

Consider running Trouble Zipper and sending me some data.  To do this, in BookMacster, click in the menu Help ▸ Trouble Zipper.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

toshin
Problems in Japanese environment
Dec 21st, 2010 at 12:18am
Print Post  
Hi,
I am trying BookMacster on a MacBook Pro (OSX 10.6.5) in Japanese and have encountered a serious problem where Japanese characters are all garbled up. It is probably a language encoding issue. The nature of the problem maybe simple, but the resulting effect is devastating -- all the bookmark were rendered useless, and I have to restore from a backup. Considering the fact that this tool makes sweeping changes to the bookmark folders, I think this is a very serious problem. Now I am scared of trying to use the software.

Can you shed any light on the problem?

Thanks,

Toshi

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint