Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Safari launching when I use the BookMacsterize jav (Read 10556 times)
PMC Systems
Re: Safari launching when I use the BookMacsterize jav
Reply #10 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
No problem. I did get the updates and I'm glad to help being a programmer myself, I know it always helps to get detailed information to solve a bug.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 6:33am
Print Post  
To my surprise, I was able to reproduce this weird problem by using your settings.  It turns out that, as a courtesy, if you're not showing the Inspector, BookMacster re-activates the browser after creating the bookmark, so you can continue browsing uninterrupted.  It identifies which browser by looking at the User-Agent string, which the browser self-reports.  Well, for some strange reason, Google Chrome 8.0 reports itself as both "Chrome" and "Safari", and as luck would have it, BookMacster is picking the latter of the two.

We need to push an update out in the next couple days to fix a couple other bugs anyhow, so we'll fix this and roll it in.  Make sure your "Check for Update" is on, so you'll get BookMacster 5.3.15.

Thanks for the report, and your data.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

PMC Systems
Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
It's on it's way via email. I already have the checkbox in the reply below checked (Check this if you wish to be notified of replies to this topic)

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
PMC Systems wrote on Jan 30th, 2011 at 1:05pm:
I will try to check back regularly.
You can receive email notifications as explained in the first "sticky" message at the top of this board.

If you could send me some data I'd like to look at your settings, or maybe I can reproduce the problem.  To do this, in BookMacster's menu click Help ▸ Trouble Zipper.  Trouble Zipper may take a few seconds to download.  Trouble Zipper will launch automatically.  You may answer "Don't Include" to the questions except for Question F (Files), please include the Bookmarkshelf which you normally have open when this occurs.  Then email or attach here the resulting .zip as instructed.

Thanks.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

PMC Systems
Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Ok, just let me know. what you would like me to try. I will try to check back regularly.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 5:03am
Print Post  
No problem about the delay; we always have other stuff to do  Wink

PMC Systems wrote on Jan 30th, 2011 at 4:54am:
I'm willing to try this in other browsers. Do you have any specific suggestions?
No, your experimental result tells me that it's not what I thought it might have been, so it must be something even more weird.  Need to think about this.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

PMC Systems
Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 4:54am
Print Post  
Jerry, sorry about the delay in replying. I tried the bookmacster:// in Chrome and it did bring Bookmacster to the front and make it the active application. Safari did not launch. I haven't tried this in any other browsers. I'm willing to try this in other browsers. Do you have any specific suggestions? Also the bookmark does get created in the Bookmarkshelf.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 1:01am
Print Post  
Try this, PNC.  Google Chrome has a combination URL/Address/Search field near the top of the window.  Delete all the text in there and then type in:

bookmacster://

Then hit your enter key.

Expected result:  BookMacster should launch if it is not running, bring its windows to the front, and show its menu bar.  In geek-speak we'd say that BookMacster should become the active application.

What happens when you do this?  Does Safari become the active application instead of BookMacster?

And, by the way, when you click the BookMacsterize bookmarklet and Safari launches, does a bookmark at least get created in your Bookmarkshelf as expected?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 12:50am
Print Post  
I just tried this, made Chrome my default browser, clicked BookMacsterize Bookmarklet, but it did not launch Safari if Safari was not running, and did not bring Safari to the front if Safari was running.  Just added a bookmark to my Bookmarkshelf as expected.

I wonder if maybe Safari has somehow become your protocol handler for the bookmacster:// protocol.  I'll have to figure out how to test that.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 12:32am
Print Post  
PMC Systems wrote on Jan 28th, 2011 at 12:21am:
I've been using Google Chrome as my default browser when I add a URL link to my bookmacster file via the javascript link it launches Safari
You mean when you click the BookMacsterize Bookmarklet?  That's pretty weird.  I'll try and reproduce that.  I was going to ask if you really meant this, but I see you repeated it later in your message.  What browsers have you tried this in (clicking the BookMacsterize Bookmarklet)?

I have the agents set to simple and have the "Export updates to Cloud to Clients" option checked." I'm figuring this is what is causing this.
No, Agents should have nothing to do with that.  But, again, I'll check it out.

My question, is how to set Bookmacster to only update clients when I quit the application?
In that case you want no Agents.  In Settings ▸ Agents, uncheck everything.  Then, in Settings ▸ Open/Save, check ON Export (Mirror-Save).  Just like any document in any normal Mac app, if you have unsaved changes it will ask if you want to save before closing, and with that box checked it will Export too.

and/or at least not have Safari launch whenever I add a bookmark.
That shouldn't be happening.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

PMC Systems
Safari launching when I use the BookMacsterize jav
Jan 28th, 2011 at 12:21am
Print Post  
I've been using Google Chrome as my default browser when I add a URL link to my bookmacster file via the javascript link it launches Safari, I can't seem to figure out where this is doing this. I have the agents set to simple and have the "Export updates to Cloud to Clients" option checked." I'm figuring this is what is causing this. My question, is how to set Bookmacster to only update clients when I quit the application? and/or at least not have Safari launch whenever I add a bookmark. Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint