Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Won't update !! (Read 17477 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Won't update !!
Reply #14 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Petezzz wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 7:18pm:
why is it, after restarting, every time I open the Macbookshelf on the Mac Pro there are no clients listed in the Clients tab. This after saving with Safari as a client.
That should not happen.  To troubleshoot this, open that Bookmarkshelf in BookMacster and in the menu click BookmarkshelfDocument Information.  A sheet will appear.  Near the bottom it will say Unique Identifier (UUID) followed by a number such as AF78AB89-959A-48AD-BA83-8B6520FEEA12.  Jot the first 5 or so characters of that number down on a piece of paper, or copy and paste it into your favorite "notebook" app.  Then, the next time you restart, and your Client disappears, click Document Information again and compare the current UUID with the one you had jotted down.  Post back here and say if it was the same or different.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Petezzz
Reply #13 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Jerry I have followed your instructions sent via email which worked.

Today I started the bookmarkshelf again and added Firefox as another client. Then did an export to both Safari and Firefox.
Now I am back to square one with the duplicate bookmark (Mac User) disappeared from 'Forums' Bookmarks Bar folder in Safari.
Should I go through your procedure again with 2 clients?

please advise

thanks
Pete

IP Logged

Petezzz
Reply #12 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
And here is the Trouble data for the Mac Pro NEW Bookmarkshelf.

Mac_Pro_New_Trouble.zip ( 3283 KB | 350 Downloads )

IP Logged

Petezzz
Reply #11 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
In case it is helpful here is the Trouble data for the Mac Pro OLD Bookmarkshelf which I deleted.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #10 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the data.  In order to be careful we don't accidentally compromise users' privacy while resolving a support issue, once we have received users' data we send further messages via private email.

I'll post a summary to the Forum when this issue is resolved.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Petezzz
Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
[quote author=4F4A4347402E0 link=1300569923/8#8 date=1300711009]
Just to verify, are you saying that in the SettingsClients tab, you add Safari as a Client by clicking the round "+" button, and then after an Export it has [b]disappeared
?  You can do the Export (Safari) while the SettingsClients tab is showing.  What happens if you do that?  Does the Safari client disappear before your very eyes?[/b]

No. I was just saying that I am sure the client settings have disappeared (not before my eyes) in the past. I think when closing and re-opening the Bookmarkshelf.

Please run Trouble Zipper, as I suggested earlier and send us some data.  There are bound to be some clues on some of this stuff.  Launch BookMacster, and in the menu click HelpTrouble Zipper and follow the instructions.

Attached
thanks
Pete
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2011 at 4:04pm by Petezzz »  

BookMacster_Trouble_005.zip (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #8 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Mar 21st, 2011 at 12:33pm:
Petezzz wrote on Mar 21st, 2011 at 11:51am:
Could either BookMacster or Safari need re-installing?
It's possible, given the extreme strangeness of the things you are reporting.  I hate reinstalling software.  It hardly ever works.

Just to verify, are you saying that in the SettingsClients tab, you add Safari as a Client by clicking the round "+" button, and then after an Export it has disappeared?  You can do the Export (Safari) while the SettingsClients tab is showing.  What happens if you do that?  Does the Safari client disappear before your very eyes?

Please run Trouble Zipper, as I suggested earlier and send us some data.  There are bound to be some clues on some of this stuff.  Launch BookMacster, and in the menu click HelpTrouble Zipper and follow the instructions.

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Petezzz wrote on Mar 21st, 2011 at 11:51am:
Could either BookMacster or Safari need re-installing?
It's possible, given the extreme strangeness of the things you are reporting.  Just to verify, are you saying that in the SettingsClients tab, you add Safari as a Client by clicking the round "+" button, and then after an Export it has disappeared?  You can do the Export (Safari) while the SettingsClients tab is showing.  What happens if you do that?  Does the Safari client disappear before your very eyes?

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Petezzz
Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 11:51am
Print Post  
I followed your instructions on the MacBook Pro .
There was no client listed so I added Safari.
Then Export (safari) and clicked on the Forums in Bookmarks Bar and Safari crashed.
Repeated this and Safari did not crash but it has not worked.
In BookMacster the Mac User bookmark still says 'None (never exported)

This is one of the things happening before, I had noticed the clients disappearing and re added them and repeated this process several times

Could either BookMacster or Safari need re-installing??

thanks
Pete

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 12:08am
Print Post  
Hello again, Pete.  Thank you for the screenshots, and your persistence.  In your MacBook Pro screenshot, when I look in the window Bookmarkshelf-001.bkmslf ♢ BookMacster at the problem bookmark at the MacUser Forum, I see that in the Clients column it says No…ed).  The text is truncated, because the column is too narrow to show all the words, but if you make that column wider it will say None.  (Never imported or exported).  Let's focus on that problem, because there are just a few possible causes, and it's probably the key to this whole quandary.

Never exported explains why you don't see it in Safari.  It's never been exported.  In the menu click the Bookmarkshelf menu and look at the Export menu item.  Is it followed by Safari in parentheses, e.g. Export (Safari) ?  If so, then click this menu item.  After a few seconds, the words None.  (Never imported or exported) should change to Safari.  If so, then in Safari, open a new window and it should now be in your Bookmarks Bar.   Digressing, if the menu item does not say Export (Safari), then click the tab SettingsClients and make sure that Safari is listed as a Client and the Export box is checked as shown in my screenshot below.  After you've got a proper Export (Safari) menu item, click it, and see if it works now.

That's probably enough for one message; I'll await your reply, except I'll say that, regarding the crashes or other problems, or in case the above does not work as I explained, there may be other issues.  In BookMacster's Help menu there's a Trouble Zipper item which you can use to send me relevant logs and other data, and if you want to do that I'll share in the frustration and possibly see another problem.

SafariClient.png ( 25 KB | 347 Downloads )
SafariClient.png

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Petezzz
2nd screen shot
Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
2nd screen shot
PS: will you come and visit me in hospital?
Pete

MacBook_Pro.png ( 307 KB | 363 Downloads )
MacBook_Pro.png

IP Logged

Petezzz
Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Mar 19th, 2011 at 9:48pm:
Petezzz wrote on Mar 19th, 2011 at 9:25pm:
Trouble is when I start Bookmacster on the Mac Pro and look at Content it is only showing the one Apple Discussions bookmark in the Forum folder in Bookmarks Bar.
You have a .bkmslf file in a Dropbox account.  When you open this .bkmslf file on one the MacBook Pro, you see two bookmarks in a certain folder, but when you open the same .bkmslf file in the same Dropbox account on your Mac Pro, you only see one bookmark in this certain folder.

This is quite strange.  It would be fairly difficult for BookMacster to show different contents if the files were indeed the same.  I would first make sure that the Dropbox connection is working.  Open a Finder window to your Dropbox folder on both Macs.  Get Info on the two files.  Does their size show exactly the same number of logical bytes (the "bytes" in parentheses)? 
YES
Is their "Modified" Date/Time exactly the same?
YES
Let me know and we'll go from there.

I thought that when I Imported, Saved and Exported on the MacBookPro it would have updated the Bookmarkshelf on Dropbox. And when I start Bookmacster on Mac Pro it should import the new Bookmarkshelf settings....?
Not quite.  First of all, regarding the Content, you must do an initial Export on the second Mac to get both Macs in sync.  The initial sync must be done manually because, of course, your two Macs initially have different bookmarks, and if you don't manually indicate which one is "master", results will be unpredictable.  Second, the "Local Settings", (Open/Save, Clients, Agents) must be set manually because these can be different on each Mac, but I think you've got that.  The procedure for setting up Dropbox et al syncing is given in sec. 1.2.2 of the Help Book:
http://sheepsystems.com/bookmacster/HelpBook/SSYMH.01.02.html#cloudSync
I HAVE FOLLOWED THIS

I have had the most ridiculous amount of strange behaviours and crashes - way too many to list.
Following this I deleted the Bookmarkshelf and started again with a new one.
However for some reason, event though my Dropbox Bookmarkshelf files are identical in Kbs and date modified....the Mac Book Pro is still refusing to update with that second forum bookmark !! Unbelievable.
The new Bookmarkshelf content looks the same on both Macs. But on the Mac Book Pro when I export, Safari is not updating. That folder in Bookmarks bar is showing only one bookmark not two.
I have repeated this procedure a zillion times with no result. Including restarts, Save As and replacing Bookmarkshelf, 
see above answers to your questions - I have followed instructions for syncing in your link.
Tried checking and unchecking every possible setting in BookMacster.

Oh God now it's changed....the MacBook Pro is not showing the second bookmark either.
I have done hundreds of Exports, close, reopen Export again on both machines and Safari is not showing the second bookmark which is visible in content on Bookmarkshelf on both Macs
SEE SCREEN SHOTS
Oh you can only attach one...OK second screen shot on new topic next message
(sounds of nervous breakdown)
I give up. Cry
Pete
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2011 at 12:13am by Jerry Krinock »  

Mac_Pro.png ( 213 KB | 381 Downloads )
Mac_Pro.png

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2011 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
I was just thinking … maybe you didn't do the initial Export on the Mac Pro, and the presence or absence of this missing bookmark is reflecting either Safari on your MacBook Pro, or Safari on your Mac Pro.  Look at them again.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2011 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Trouble is when I start Bookmacster on the Mac Pro and look at Content it is only showing the one Apple Discussions bookmark in the Forum folder in Bookmarks Bar.
You have a .bkmslf file in a Dropbox account.  When you open this .bkmslf file on one the MacBook Pro, you see two bookmarks in a certain folder, but when you open the same .bkmslf file in the same Dropbox account on your Mac Pro, you only see one bookmark in this certain folder.

This is quite strange.  It would be fairly difficult for BookMacster to show different contents if the files were indeed the same.  I would first make sure that the Dropbox connection is working.  Open a Finder window to your Dropbox folder on both Macs.  Get Info on the two files.  Does their size show exactly the same number of logical bytes (the "bytes" in parentheses)?  Is their "Modified" Date/Time exactly the same?

Let me know and we'll go from there.

I thought that when I Imported, Saved and Exported on the MacBookPro it would have updated the Bookmarkshelf on Dropbox. And when I start Bookmacster on Mac Pro it should import the new Bookmarkshelf settings....?
Not quite.  First of all, regarding the Content, you must do an initial Export on the second Mac to get both Macs in sync.  The initial sync must be done manually because, of course, your two Macs initially have different bookmarks, and if you don't manually indicate which one is "master", results will be unpredictable.  Second, the "Local Settings", (Open/Save, Clients, Agents) must be set manually because these can be different on each Mac, but I think you've got that.  The procedure for setting up Dropbox et al syncing is given in sec. 1.2.2 of the Help Book:
http://sheepsystems.com/bookmacster/HelpBook/SSYMH.01.02.html#cloudSync

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Petezzz
Won't update !!
Mar 19th, 2011 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
This is driving me crackers !

At home I have 2 Macs - a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro.
I have BookMacster on both and a Bookmarkshelf on Dropbox.

In settings on both Macs I have Export updates when feasible and Export updates from cloud to clients - all checked.

On the MacBook Pro in Safari bookmarks I have a folder in in Bookmarks Menu called Forums with many forums inside. I also have Forums folder in the Bookmarks Bar in which I have just Apple Discussions and the Mac User forum  (because I use these two quite often)
On the MacBook Pro I have done Import/Safari (your settings) and Save. In Book Macster / Content I can see in the Bookmarks Bar Forum folder there are the 2 forum bookmarks. Quitting and re-starting Safari shows the same.
So far so good.
Trouble is when I start Bookmacster on the Mac Pro and look at Content it is only showing the one Apple Discussions bookmark in the Forum folder in Bookmarks Bar. Likewise in Safari.

What am I doing wrong...please help
thanks
Pete

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint