Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Editing Suggested URL field in 1.3.18 - UX failure (Read 5024 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Editing Suggested URL field in 1.3.18 - UX failure
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2011 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Hello Jeff,

I think I don't understand what you are trying to do.

If you want to change an item's URL manually, you can enter it into the Current URL field in the Inspector, or else show "URL" in one of the selectable columns in the Content tab and edit that field.  In either case, you can enter the desired URL by either typing, pasting, or dropping from a drag.

I just retested this.  Both of these fields are editable and update the URL in the data model immediately when you end editing.  I see no need to use the Suggested URL.

Tell me what I'm missing!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jeff Dickey
Editing Suggested URL field in 1.3.18 - UX failure
May 22nd, 2011 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Here's what I have to do now:
1. View the bookmark I want to edit in the Inspector;
2. Type (or paste) the corrected URL into the "Suggested URL" field;
3. Click the blue "Show URL, Last Verify Result" icon in the bottom-centre of the Inspector window to hide the opened panel;
4. Click the same icon again to re-open the panel, showing my edited URL in the "Suggested URL" field;
5. Click the button between the "Current URL" and "Suggested URL" to switch them.

Hiding and re-opening the panel is non-intuitive, extra baggage. Failing to do so before switching URLs will keep the original value for "Suggested URL," regardless of any changes. This is hideously bad usability.

Either:
a) Handle the appropriate NSText notification so that your app has the URL value typed or pasted in by the user, or
b) Add another button to the left of the "Suggested URL" edit area which will update the internal value from the NSText control.

I would strongly prefer option a.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint