Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Bad Behavior When Bookmarkshelf Missing (Read 4337 times)
ockendoner
Re: Bad Behavior When Bookmarkshelf Missing
Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 4:40am
Print Post  
Thanks for the quick reply.

As you say, it might just have given one warning, but as it was already giving me errors prior to my deleting the file, it might have been caught between a rock and a hard place. I believe the option to quit agents did come up and whatever button was my natural inclination to hit, didn't produce the hoped for response. ie it kept hanging.

Bookmacster is obviously very powerful, and in educated hands probably does everything it is supposed to, but for casual users like myself, a force quit would ideally quit the app and all agents and processes. That's the natural behavior for most mac apps and what a novice user would perhaps expect to happen. Just my 2¢!

I'll report back after the jump to iCloud.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Bad Behavior When Bookmarkshelf Missing
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2011 at 6:47am
Print Post  
Hello ockendoner,

If a Bookmarkshelf file with an Agent is missing when the agent triggers, BookMacster should display one warning, and then forget it.  Apparently, something went wrong.

Quitting BookMacster may leave Agents active, so that Worker processes may still be triggered. To "switch it off", launch BookMacster and click in the menu BookMacsterActive Agents.  Normally, you'll only have one Active Agent.  Select it in the list, click "Edit…", and then un-check the boxes.  I suppose we could make that easier to find somehow.

The other one is an emergency shut-off.  It's BookMacsterForce Quit Agents' Workers.  It will force quit any Worker processes that have hung for some reason.

Let us know if you have any trouble with iCloud.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

ockendoner
Bad Behavior When Bookmarkshelf Missing
Dec 19th, 2011 at 6:20am
Print Post  
I deleted my Boomarkshelf from a cloned hard drive Dropbox (probably not the smartest thing I've ever done), meaning it also wiped it everywhere else. This was not immediately a problem as I was going to create a new one from scratch, except that...

1. Bookmacster had a melt down when it couldn't find the Bookmarkshelf file, which is now missing from all drives needing the file.
2. Force quitting didn't completely quit the program. I had to shut down to regain control.
3. Bookmacster gives me no way to switch it off. Dropbox allows us to pause, which is very useful. Perhaps Bookmacster should adopt that, if at all possible.
4. Deleting Bookmacster completely, fixed this after a restart. But obviously not what I wanted.

Furthermore,

5. Bookmacster  has been giving errors in the past couple of months. Didn't know how to fix it so I created a new Bookmarkshelf and reset Sync services, but I was then getting errors from both Bookmacster and Mobile Me. I'll install Lion, move to iCloud and then have another go at all this once it's all settled down.

So just wanted to bring both these issues up. Jerry, if you have any thoughts, let me know, otherwise I'll update this post sometime in the new year.

Thanks,
K

Bookmacster 1.9.4
Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Mac Mini 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint