Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) I really liked Bookdog (Read 7498 times)
Mark
Re: I really liked Bookdog
Reply #5 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Mar 7th, 2012 at 2:08am:
Bookdog still works, Mark.  What do you want it to do?

nada.  I'm happy as it is.

Thanks.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 2:08am
Print Post  
Bookdog still works, Mark.  What do you want it to do?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Mark
Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 1:59am
Print Post  
Sad
Jerry,

I'm not seeing any success stories here.  Only repeating problems that are either new to you, or you are in the process of fixing.

After almost 50 years in IT, I think I'm qualified to state that the product isn't stable enough for general release.

I could be wrong.  But I'm going to need yo hear people posting that things are going fine and that you can afford to let the system sit, hands-off, for a week or two before attempting to implement this.

Are you sure there's no way to upgrade bookdog?

IP Logged

Mark
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Jerry.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Mark

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Hello, Mark.   Thank you for your persistence with BookMacster.  I can answer each of these topics

Bookdog.  Although I appreciate your fondness for Bookdog, actually, Bookdog can only sync, or as it's called in Bookdog, migrate two browsers at a time, and only do it manually, and cannot sync to another Mac over the internet, only over a local area network.  We did publish an AppleScript which could sync three browsers by doing three migrations, and this could be scheduled to run daily, or whatever, with Automator, but that's way over most users' heads and very few ever tried it.

7 minutes to finish processing.  This is not a bug, it's a feature!  The reason is that bookmarks syncing or alphabetizing is, we hope, one of the least important jobs your Mac has to do; therefore we want to minimize BookMacster's resource usage.  The first way we do this is by recognizing that, when you add a bookmark, there's a good chance that you're going to add another bookmark or two within the next few minutes.  So BookMacster's Worker waits 4-5 minutes after the first change is detected before processing it, so that these several changes can be processed at once.  Some more tens of seconds elapse while BookMacster's background Worker waits to make sure that Dropbox or iCloud are not syncing your bookmarks.  Finally, the Worker runs as nicely as possible (with a Unix nice value of +20), yielding to any other process which calls itself more important.  So we call it 7 minutes to be safe.

Now you still might ask why can't BookMacster do this manually, cutting out the 5 minutes and running as a regular priority process.  It can, but it takes two clicks in the menu: BookmarkshelfImport followed by  BookmarkshelfExport.  This is kind of a feature too – it's one way of encouraging users to glance at that Content between the Import and Export operations.  Is this what you really want in all of your browsers?  We're probably going to add a one-click manual Sync button in a future release, and this is already available to power users (the Perform… button in the AgentsAdvanced tab), but with power comes danger.

There is a hidden preference to reduce the 5 minutes to 1 minute.  See sec. 5.6 of the Help Book.  We use it for testing but do not recommend it.

Type 3 User.  I think you mean Usage Style 3, called Using BookMacster Directly.  I recommend this style and use it myself when I'm not testing BookMacster, which is, unfortunately, not very often.  Using BookMacster Directly means that you add bookmarks to and visit bookmarks from BookMacster directly.  You do not activate any Agents, never sync and never even export, because you no longer use the Bookmarks menus in their web browser.  Using BookMacster Directly is conceptually simpler because there is less interaction with web browsers.

I have a Mac Pro, a MacBook Pro and an iPodTouch.  The Safari bookmarks should be identical on all 3 devices.  Actually, then, you need Syncing, which is Usage Style 2.  This is particularly true because of the iPod Touch – Apple has walled off access to Safari bookmarks on iOS devices, and the only way to get in is to sync with Safari on the Mac.

I need to do a housecleaning on the desktop and laptop.  I agree.  Since BookMacster has "trashed" your bookmarks before, the first thing you should do is to delete any existing .bkmslf documents which might still be operational.  Please follow these instructions:

http://www.sheepsystems.com/files/support_articles/bookmacster-start-over.html

(In the next version, we may add a menu item to do that with one click.)

I'd like to use the desktop as the initial source of the bookmarks.  Good; starting out with one set of bookmarks makes things much easier.

• Do the Starting Over procedure described above, on both Macs.
• Make sure that both Macs have BookMacster 1.10 or later.  Use Check for Update.
• You'll need a Dropbox (or similar) account on both Macs.  iCloud is not similar and MobileMe is going away.
• If you have MobileMe or iCloud activated on either Mac, check their System Preference panels and switch off Bookmarks syncing for now.

• Activate BookMacster on your Mac Pro.
• Click in the menu: FileNew Bookmarkshelf.
• During the wizard, select Safari only.  (You didn't mention any other browsers.)
• Click Do It! when asked if Import now.
• When asked about "other Macs", click Move, and move the new .bkmslf file into your Dropbox folder.
• Do any sorting, find/delete duplicates, verify, or other reorganization as desired.
• Click the Sync button in the toolbar (new in BookMacster 1.10).
• Switch on checkboxes 1, 3 and 4 as shown here (2, Sort is optional), and Export when prompted.

• Quit BookMacster.

• Activate your MacBook Pro.
• Open a Finder window to your Dropbox folder.
• Wait for Dropbox to drop the .bkmslf file from your Mac Pro.
• Doubleclick it, to open in BookMacster.
• Click the tab: SettingsClients.
• Add "Safari" as a Client
• Click the Sync button in the toolbar, add Agents, and Export as did on your Mac Pro.

If you want automatic syncing of Safari bookmarks to your iPod Touch via MobileMe or iCloud, switch on Bookmarks syncing in their System Preference panel, on one Mac only.  Because of Apple's one-checkbox simplicity, this may result in additional bookmarks being imported from your iPod Touch.  Launch BookMacster on the synced Mac after 20 minutes, and check.  Delete any unwanted bookmarks and then click in the menu: BookmarkshelfExport.

For everyday syncing, BookMacster Agents will operate in the background and you should not need to launch BookMacster.

Again, thank you for your persistence, and let us know if you have any trouble.  We're working on making BookMacster easier to use and your feedback is helpful.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Mark
I really liked Bookdog
Feb 27th, 2012 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
It was easy to use with multiple browsers and managed important functions:  sorting the bookmarks and verifying that they were still valid.  And, if I recall correctly, I was able to set it up so that I was able to keep all 3 browsers in synch - so if I added or deleted a bookmark in one browser, the others were changed to match.  That last process might have been manual - I don't recall.

Each time I've tried to get BookMacster going, it's trashed the bookmarks in Safari and Firefox and Chrome.

Clearly, I'm missing something I'm understanding how to install this as a type 3 user.

One thing I found interesting was how long it took to sync.  I read about that here, on the board.

Coming from Bookdog, where the processes were done locally and you got a response - if any - shortly after closing your browser, I was amazed to find out that it could take 7 minutes to finish processing.

I have a Mac Pro, a MacBook Pro and an iPodTouch.  The Safari bookmarks should be identical on all 3 devices.  On the first two, there should be a single list go bookmarks to work from that's amalgamated from the original input; with duplicates identified and removed, so you're essentially working from a single, shared list of bookmarks that can be verified against the web to insure the url's are still correct.

If this is to work; I need to do a housecleaning on the desktop and laptop to eliminate any pieces of an attempt to get this working -

how do I do that?

And then I have to get this working.

I'd like to use the desktop as the initial source of the bookmarks.

I know you've done this before in the forum because I've seen pictures and long threads regarding proper installation and syncing.  So the process you expected would be simple turns out to be more complicated due to complexity or lack of information (who would wait 7 minutes for a simple import-export, unless they knew in advance it could take that long?).

You've identified a niche in the marketplace with Bookdog that no-one else has been able to replicate.

There's no product on the market today (possibly, BookMacster aside) that is able to synchronize bookmarks from various browsers - including sorting and validation - and share them amongst your other machines via the web.

I think that's what is at the heart of BookMacster.

And I will ask you now what I've seen other folks ask:

please help me install this thing and get it to work properly.

Thank you,
Mark

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint