Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Conflicted Copy Bookmarks File In Dropbox (Read 10881 times)
MrX
Re: Conflicted Copy Bookmarks File In Dropbox
Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
The only thing that I can think of is that if Mac #1 is Mac OS X 10.6 and Mac #2 is Mac OS X 10.7, then Mac #2 has Auto Save, but on Mac #1, changes will not propagate to Mac #2 until you click in the menu: FileSave.

Ah Ha! That's it...

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
MrX wrote on Mar 7th, 2012 at 9:51pm:
Well, something isn't right with Mac 2, since bookmarks deleted on Mac 1 are still appearing on Mac 2 after 45 minutes. Bookmarks deleted on #2 are gone on #1 almost immediately.
After putting the .bkmslf file in Dropbox, Dropbox will copy changes in either direction, and BookMacster on either end will notice the changes and read in the changes.  I just looked again.  There is no settings in Dropbox to make syncing unidirectional, nor is there any way to turn off the "automatically read in changes" feature in BookMacster.

The only thing that I can think of is that if Mac #1 is Mac OS X 10.6 and Mac #2 is Mac OS X 10.7, then Mac #2 has Auto Save, but on Mac #1, changes will not propagate to Mac #2 until you click in the menu: FileSave.

MrX wrote on Mar 7th, 2012 at 9:51pm:
Specifically, I want to be able to add and access my bookmarks via the Finder Menu Bar no matter which browser I use, which happens to be Safari almost 100% of the time. (Due to a conflict it isn't possible to add Firefox URLs to URLM Pro.) I also want to be able to add bookmarks to Safari that do not show up in Bookmacster. For example, I add items to Safari's Bookmarks Bar that I do not want in Bookmacster. All other bookmarks are handled by Bookmacster.
Well, then, the answer in my original message was correct.  You're not using BookMacster to do syncing.  You should have zero Clients and zero Agents.  There's no syncing to configure.  It should just work.

Enough for one message.  Let us know how this goes.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

MrX
Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Well, something isn't right with Mac 2, since bookmarks deleted on Mac 1 are still appearing on Mac 2 after 45 minutes. Bookmarks deleted on #2 are gone on #1 almost immediately. What setting have I missed?

I have gone through the manual with a fine tooth comb but I find the syncing options and settings to be confusing.

I'm trying to get Bookmacster to function like URLM Pro, which I used for many years. I only want to use Dropbox for syncing in order to keep things as simple as possible. 

Specifically, I want to be able to add and access my bookmarks via the Finder Menu Bar no matter which browser I use, which happens to be Safari almost 100% of the time. (Due to a conflict it isn't possible to add Firefox URLs to URLM Pro.) I also want to be able to add bookmarks to Safari that do not show up in Bookmacster. For example, I add items to Safari's Bookmarks Bar that I do not want in Bookmacster. All other bookmarks are handled by Bookmacster.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
MrX wrote on Mar 7th, 2012 at 7:29pm:
I am using Dropbox to sync bookmarks, leaving the clients out of the picture. But I have had problems understanding the setup process in the manual.  If I understand it correctly, no clients should be designated and all the checkboxes under Agents should be unchecked. Is that correct?

That is correct if you are using BookMacster as a standalone bookmarking app and no longer use the Bookmarks Bar or Bookmarks Menu in your web browsers.  That is, when you want to visit a bookmark, or add a bookmark, you add it to BookMacster directly by using your global keyboard shortcut, BookMacster's little status menulet in the menu bar, dock menu, bookmarklet, or bookmarking widget.  This is the way I use BookMacster and I recommend it.

On the other hand, the other half of BookMacster users want the Bookmarks Bar and Bookmarks Menu in different browsers and/or on different Macs to be synced.  These users need Clients and Agents.

There is also an in-between group that uses BookMacster directly on their Mac(s), but syncs to Safari only, in order to have the same bookmarks on their iOS devices.

Good question, Mr. X.  Let me know if the answer not clear.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

MrX
Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
OK, I think that I fixed it, although I had to use Mac #1 to double-check settings so I wound up with two conflicted bookmark files...

When I started up Mac #1 again DropBox indicated that it had updated, but both conflicted files were present. So I simply deleted both on Mac #1.

I then added a new bookmark on #1 and it showed up on Mac 2.

I am using Dropbox to sync bookmarks, leaving the clients out of the picture. But I have had problems understanding the setup process in the manual.  If I understand it correctly, no clients should be designated and all the checkboxes under Agents should be unchecked. Is that correct?

Just to be safe I saved a duplicate of the good bookmarks file before I fiddled around with things...

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Hello Mr. X,

A "conflicted copy" is created by Dropbox when a file is changed on a second Mac before previous changes have been synced in from a first Mac.  Usually this can't happen because Dropbox is pretty quick, and when a Mac comes online, Dropbox syncs files before you can visit a website and create a new bookmark.  But it can happen, for example, if Dropbox servers are inaccessible for a time after your Mac comes online, or if you edit a synced .bkmslf file in BookMacster while you are offline.

For historical reasons, which we'll probably fix one of these days, BookMacster does not have a "default .bkmslf file", but instead any .bkmslf file can be set to open automatically when BookMacster launches.  That's what you mean.  There is a checkbox for this in SettingsOpen/Save.

You need to manually merge the changes back into the original .bkmslf file…
  • Put Mac #1 to sleep or otherwise offline
  • On Mac #2, double-click to open both the original .bkmslf file and the "conflicted copy".  You will have two document windows open.
  • Recalling recent changes you have made on both Macs, examine the Content of both document windows and copy, move or rearrange until the original .bkmslf file is updated and corrected.
  • Click the tool Settings, tab to Open/Save.
  • Switch on the checkbox to Open automatically when BookMacster launches.
  • Tab to Clients, then Agents, and re-set anything which has disappeared.
  • Activate the "conflicted copy" and click in the menu: FileClose and Delete, then OK to trash it.
  • Bring Mac #1 online.
  • Wait for Dropbox to do its thing.
  • Verify that the "conflicted copy" is no longer in Dropbox
  • Open the original .bkmslf file.
  • Verify that your changes have arrived
  • Click Settings, tab to Open/Save, Clients and Agents and re-set anything which has disappeared.
Let us know if you have any more trouble.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

MrX
Conflicted Copy Bookmarks File In Dropbox
Mar 6th, 2012 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
The past few days my sole bookmarks file has not been opening automatically when Bookmacster opens as my iMac starts-up automatically every morning.

While investigating this new behavior I looked in my Dropbox folder, which contains the bookmarks file that is synced between tow Macs. I found two files: the one that I have been opening manually and another labeled "gregorio-01 (Gregorio's MBP 13's conflicted copy 2012-02-25).bkmslf." I assume that because there are two files that is cause of the problem (I cannot locate a preference setting for designating a default bookmarks file).

My questions: what is the reason for the "conflicted copy" and what should I do about it? And should my bookmarks file open automatically as I thought it had been doing previously?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint