Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Maybe bug with consolidate folders (Read 4154 times)
amix
Re: Maybe bug with consolidate folders
Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2012 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Nov 17th, 2012 at 4:59pm:
I need to think further about the feature request, I think it might make this feature too complicated.  If there are certain empty folders that you want to keep, here is a workaround…

• Create a bookmark using ⌘B in each of the empty folders.  It will be named "untitled"
• Consolidate Folders.
• In the Find panel, search for all bookmarks named "untitled" and delete them.

What do you think of that?
Basically I am fine with this. However, utilities like Bookmacster are all about automation. With over 10.000 bookmarks this may become a bit cumbersome, since I need to manually identify all my empty folders (might be possible with a search) and doing it manually. A simple, user-settable, flag "exclude empty folders" seems more simple to me.

I would love it, if Bookmacster would offer a scripting API (OSAScript, however, would be just too slow). So one can implement all (s)he wants from the outside. Since, as you seem to imply, some things are very specific to a few users only and therefore may not fit well in an "overall" solution. Right now, for example, I have the problem, that, somehow, it may have been Bookmacster, but I am not sure, all my Live-Marks (well over 30) have been flagged as simple bookmarks. I have places.sql open in an sqlite editor, am seeking Google for results, but just can not seem to find the way, Livemarks are being flagged differently in the database to normal bookmarks. All I find in the developers documentation are high-level API calls to identify them, not something as raw and basic as a record's attribute, designating a livemark. Houdeholding/fixing stuff like this could be done easily with Bookmacster, once it would be scriptable.

Of course, I could write a Javascript now, using the places.sql javascript routines, but this means, that I need to dig deeper into Firefox' programming, set up an extension and so on, all, since I am going to write a full script, and not just a relativley simple application remote-control.

Everyday's woes  Wink

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Maybe bug with consolidate folders
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2012 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Hello amix,

I think that Consolidate Folders works as expected.  As you've realized, if two folders with the same name in the same parent are both empty, then they are consolidated, and then because they are still empty, they are deleted.  Nothing is lost but the empty folders, but that is expected.

I need to think further about the feature request, I think it might make this feature too complicated.  If there are certain empty folders that you want to keep, here is a workaround…

• Create a bookmark using ⌘B in each of the empty folders.  It will be named "untitled"
• Consolidate Folders.
• In the Find panel, search for all bookmarks named "untitled" and delete them.

What do you think of that?

I'll be sorting through your other feature requests during the coming days.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

amix
Maybe bug with consolidate folders
Nov 17th, 2012 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Hi,

in order to consolidate a single folder without deleting empty folders, that I have set up in my catalog for later.

EDIT: I just realized it! The folders, after pasting, were empty! So, this is another beast, than described here. Still, I keep this post, since it shows another unexpected behaviour, that could have resulted in information loss. So, the problem is not, that the folders get merged and then both deleted, instead empty folders get merged, therefore deleted. Where have the contents of the folders gone?

ORIGINAL POST:
- First I copied the two folders to the clipboard (see below for remark).
- I saved the current document under another name, deleted all from it and pasted the two folders into the bookmarks menu hardfolder
- consolidate
- folder A got merged with folder B and then folder B got deleted, leaving me back without anything.

As for the reason I copied rather then just erasing all but those two folders: Before I cloned the document under a different name I intended to create a fresh 'temp' document, as a playground for such tasks. However, if I do not import anything, I do not get any hardfolders. It would be very nice, if one could set up an empty bookmarks document template!

See attached pictures!

Greetings, Andreas

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint