Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Version History (including when auto-updating) (Read 18126 times)
Rob Lewis
Re: Version History (including when auto-updating)
Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
I'll be on the lookout for the next update (although of course, as these things usually go, it will work perfectly Smiley

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 6:34am
Print Post  
Rob Lewis wrote on Jan 21st, 2013 at 6:20am:
Well of course I have seen many Sparkle update windows in my time, but with BookMacster I don't get either the "Release Notes" subhead or the the version history text window below it. As best I can recall, I get everything else.
Weird.  Please take a screenshot and send it to me next time that happens.  It will be within the next couple weeks.

Rob Lewis wrote on Jan 21st, 2013 at 6:20am:
Is this a switch that the developer sets when integrating the Sparkle code into your application?
Not that I know of, although Sparkle is open source so any developer can do whatever they want to.  However, we have definitely not set such a switch because as you can see in my screenshot, it works fine for me, and, I would venture to say, most BookMacster users.

There's always an explanation for these things.  We'll find it.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Rob Lewis
Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 6:20am
Print Post  
Well of course I have seen many Sparkle update windows in my time, but with BookMacster I don't get either the "Release Notes" subhead or the the version history text window below it. As best I can recall, I get everything else. This has been an ongoing problem, and seems to be specific to BM. Of course there could be other programs displaying the same failure and I wouldn't notice because I'm not aware that the Release Notes are supposed to be displayed in their version of Sparkle. Is this a switch that the developer sets when integrating the Sparkle code into your application?

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 1:25am
Print Post  
Thank you, Rob.  Here is what I see upon launching the previous verison (1.13) of BookMacster…

You see it's the same familiar Sparkle Update window you get with many other apps.  If you'd swipe or scroll down in the middle, you'd see the link to the complete Version History.

Please recall as best as you can what you saw earlier today informing you that a BookMacster update was available.  How does it compare with the above screenshot?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Rob Lewis
Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Currently "Launch in Background" is NOT checked.

I turned on the "Show status in menu bar" option a couple of weeks ago, but virtually never use the menulet. Normally I just launch the program manually after logging in, and leave it running with its window open.

My principal use of the program right now is to work my way through a great many uncategorized Safari bookmarks, filing them in BM and deleting the originals. It's a long slow process.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Hello again, Rob.

I'm mystified because the same Sparkle Updater window, which you see in BookMacster and other apps, which says at the top that an update is available, shows in the middle of that same window the list of changes.

Do you have BookMacster set to "Launch in Background", and use it from the status menulet in the menu bar?  (To verify, Show BookMacster, then click in the menu: BookMacster ▸ Preferences and look at the second and third checkboxes).

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Rob Lewis
Version History (including when auto-updating)
Jan 18th, 2013 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Once again, BookMacster just said it had a new update ready to install, but gave me no clue as to what was different in the new version.

Some auto-updating apps provide a text window for this, and I wish BM did.

And once again, I can't find the Version History on the website. Why not include it in the "Knowledge Base" files?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint