Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Struggling for simple workflow (Read 11669 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Struggling for simple workflow
Reply #9 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 7:31am
Print Post  
Cheers accepted.

The third and last issue that you reported, which is that clicking on a Root sub-item in a Copy to ▸ or Move to ▸ contextual menu items should copy or move the selected item(s) to root, has now been fixed.  This action will work as expected in the next update of BookMacster.

Thanks again for the feedback, Neil.
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2013 at 1:23pm by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Neil B
Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Cheers. Got the new version now....

Neil.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Neil.  Both have been re-uploaded and work now.  New weird things happen every day!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Neil B
Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Hi.

The latest beta is broken. Somehow the zip is bust. It won't decompress from a manual download, and it won't install automatically from within the program. 4.8MB looks a bit small, so maybe it got truncated somehow?

Also, (a different problem) when I originally installed the program using the "internet enabled dmg", that didn't work either and I had to download the zip file. So that's broken too.

Neil.

IP Logged

Neil B
Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Thanks for the response.

By the way, I'm not criticising the app in any way - just noting what I found unintuitive and a little confusing. I see that there are all these power user features that I'll likely never get to using, but that makes it all the more of a shock that I do run into end-of-the-line experiences trying to achieve what I consider quite mundane in terms of functionality.

I guess the best I can do is try to describe what situation I'm in and what I'm trying to achieve and that's precisely what I've done. Smiley

Thanks!

Neil.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Means to merge folders, and expand/collapse roots, were implemented today in a new version of BookMacster which is available now on our beta channel.  Details are in the Update News for Beta.  Please get it using these instructions.

Your last item, that Copy to ▸ and Move to ▸ can't move to root, are going to be more difficult to fix.  It's been added to are bug tracker.

Thank you for the feedback!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
I think what you want is a global Consolidate Folders which would work like Find Duplicates and Delete Duplicates does.  I'll see what we can do and get back to you.

Neil B wrote on Jul 6th, 2013 at 7:49pm:
I don't seem to be able to move soft folders into Root/. Is this a bug?
Ditto - I'll get back to you.

Neil B wrote on Jul 6th, 2013 at 7:49pm:
Lastly, in the "Content" view, there seems no way to just view the top-level (Root/) soft folders without actually clicking on every single disclosure triangle, which is really painful (I have 152 top-level soft folders). Is there an easy way to reveal all/fold all?
Ditto.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Neil B
Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the quick response. I've been making headway on my own and have more or less figured out what your response was. Smiley

I'm slowly beginning to unravel my bookmarks, but there seem to be some quite obvious omissions in BookMacster.

For instance, if I wish to merge two soft folders, right now I have to

- create a temporary soft folder
- move both soft folders into it
- consolidate folders
- move resultant folder back to where it was or to where I want it

What I've been doing is, in the find window, finding all my soft folders and seeing lots of duplicates. Here it's natural to command-select the folders I want to merge... right click.... but there's no command for consolidate/merge.

Is there a one-stop way to consolidate two (or more) folders, potentially from quite different parts of the folder hierarchy?

Here is the exact scenario I'm trying to mend:

I've an iPad, an iPhone and Safari. Over the years I've quite reasonably created country-specific and device-specific soft folders. So, for example

Root/iPad/CZ/
Root/iPhone/CZ/

These folders contain bookmarks for "Czech-related pages suited to the iPad" and "Czech-related websites that work well on the iPhone" respectively.

Through the years of using different browsers on different computers, some of which auto-import bookmarks from other browsers, I have soft folders thus

Root/iPhone/CZ/
Root/iPad/CZ/
Root/Safari Bookmarks/iPhone/CZ/
Root/Safari Bookmarks/iPad/CZ/
Root/Imported IE Favourites/iPhone/CZ/
Root/Imported IE Favourites/iPad/CZ/
Root/Bookmarks Menu/iPhone/CZ/
Root/Bookmarks Menu/iPad/CZ/
... etc

The later soft folders are less up to date than the first two as they were snapshots at a certain time, but their bookmarks are not necessarily invalid/obsolete.

Now, as you can see, there are actually only two sets of distinct CZ soft folders here, all of which I'd like to consolidate into the first two soft folders. I'm finding it very heavy going to achieve this- my example above is a simply case and I'm finding similarly-named soft folders all over the place. I think the record so far is six soft folders that need to be consolidated, and resolving "simple cases" of two similarly-named soft folders also can pop up more hierarchy-flattening work. Sad

Also, I don't seem to be able to move soft folders into Root/. Is this a bug?

Lastly, in the "Content" view, there seems no way to just view the top-level (Root/) soft folders without actually clicking on every single disclosure triangle, which is really painful (I have 152 top-level soft folders). Is there an easy way to reveal all/fold all?

Apologies for all the questions - I think that because I know exactly what I'm trying to achieve, and because that's not particularly difficult, the fact that Macbookster doesn't do this all for me automatically (or at least make it easy) is making me think I'm doing something conceptually wrong / using the program wrongly.

Thanks,

Neil.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Neil B wrote on Jul 6th, 2013 at 6:26pm:
Is there an easy workflow to fix these?
We'll try and help Smiley

Right now I'm just deleting dups, sorting, and consolidating folders without really understanding what's happening under the hood - I don't really want to know - but not getting the results I'm expecting.
You don't need to know what's happening under the hood, but you do need to know what the various commands are going to do Smiley

Example:

root/
  Bookmark A
  Folder1/
    Bookmark A
  Folder2/
    Subfolder2/
      Bookmark A

I expect that enough consolidate folders / find duplicates operations would reduce these three bookmarks to one.

Is that correct?
No, because they're in different locations.  Presuming you want to rid duplicates, you should Find Duplicates.  It will show a report.  If Bookmark A has the same URL in all three locations, it should be shown in the report as a Duplicate Group of 3 bookmarks, along with all of your other Duplicate Groups.  It does not matter where they are.

But all this gives you is a report.  To actually get rid of them, you can do one of two things.

If there are not too many, step through each Duplicate Group.  In each group delete all bookmarks except one, the one you want to keep.

If there are too many to make this worth your while, click Delete All.  BookMacster will pick what it thinks is the best of each group, and delete the others.

Both methods are shown in 40 seconds, in the last half of this screencast.

Also, I'd like to check that a folder move operation is additive rather than destructive - I seem to have lost a bunch of stuff and I'm not sure why.

Specifically, if I have a structure thus:

Root/
  Folder1/
    Bookmark A
    Bookmark B
  Folder2/
    Folder1/
      Bookmark B
      Bookmark C

What is the result of moving Root/Folder2/Folder1 to Root/? I expect something like
Yes, if you Move and then Consolidate Folders.  After moving,

Root/
  Folder1/
    Bookmark A
    Bookmark B
  Folder1/
    Bookmark B
    Bookmark C
  Folder2/

After then clicking Consolidate Folders, the contents of Root/Folder1/ and Root/Folder2/ will be combined and will contain all four bookmarks, as you indicated in your last picture.

The Bookmark B will then be resolved as a duplicate unless it's changed.  Am I on the right track here?
Yes, but you don't need to move them for duplicates to be found by Find Duplicates.

Right now I'm doing what I consider to be the right thing and yet I seem to be losing lots of bookmarks.
I think that maybe your conception of the scopes of Find Duplicates and Consolidate Folders are reversed.
  • Find Duplicates is a "global" operation which will find duplicates anywhere.  It is based on URL only.  If you have one bookmark to http:apple.com in /Root/FolderA/FolderB/FolderC, and another bookmark to http:apple.com in /Root/FolderX/FolderY/FolderZ, these two will be detected as a Duplicate Group and appear in the report.
  • Consolidate Folders is a "local" operation.  If you have two folders,  /Root/FolderA/FolderJ/ and Root/FolderA/FolderK, Cosolidate Folders will combine their contents into one.  It's rather simple, but this is a common pattern that happens when bookmarks are sloppily imported, and this operation is helpful if you should have hundreds of these.
Let us know if you have any more questions.

You didn't say how you were moving.  For big moves, we recommend using a secondary click, and then Move To… from the contextual menu which appears.  This is "destructive" in the sense that the moved item(s) will no longer be where they were.  (By contrast, Copy to… does the same thing but leaves the item(s) in their original location too.  Copy to… thus creates duplicates.  We have another quick screencast showing this.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Neil B
Struggling for simple workflow
Jul 6th, 2013 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Hi,

I have, through bad software and bad syncing and bad decisions, several duplicate bookmark folders, some of which are fully duplicated trees of bookmarks and folders. Is there an easy workflow to fix these?

Right now I'm just deleting dups, sorting, and consolidating folders without really understanding what's happening under the hood - I don't really want to know - but not getting the results I'm expecting.

Example:

root/
  Bookmark A
  Folder1/
    Bookmark A
  Folder2/
    Subfolder2/
      Bookmark A

I expect that enough consolidate folders / find duplicates operations would reduce these three bookmarks to one.

Is that correct?

Also, I'd like to check that a folder move operation is additive rather than destructive - I seem to have lost a bunch of stuff and I'm not sure why.

Specifically, if I have a structure thus:

Root/
  Folder1/
    Bookmark A
    Bookmark B
  Folder2/
    Folder1/
      Bookmark B
      Bookmark C

What is the result of moving Root/Folder2/Folder1 to Root/? I expect something like

Root/
  Folder1/
    Bookmark A
    Bookmark B
    Bookmark B (duplicate)
    Bookmark C
  Folder2/

The Bookmark B will then be resolved as a duplicate unless it's changed.

Am I on the right track here?

Right now I'm doing what I consider to be the right thing and yet I seem to be losing lots of bookmarks.

Thanks,

Neil.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint