Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) BookMacster v/s Safari ReadingList (Read 9731 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: BookMacster v/s Safari ReadingList
Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2013 at 4:01am
Print Post  
BookMacster 1.19.2 is was published a few hours ago.  It fixes the issue of synced items from Safari Reading List being moved into Bookmarks Menu after importing from Chrome.

To update a BookMacster to the latest version, activatate BookMacster and click in the menu: BookMacster > Check for Update.  To restart syncing,

Y'all let me know if you have any more trouble, especially if Reading List bookmarks are actually disappearing.  If you see that, please send us a Trouble Zipper report and when asked, Include Bookmarks, and then Safari; also Include Sync Logs.  Trouble Zipper will give us a history of what happened to each item, when and why, for the last several syncs at least.  It's been a great tool for us to fix these kinds of issues.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2013 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
The behavior of bookmarks moving from Safari's Reading List into the Bookmarks Menu when a bookmark was added in Chrome while syncing Chrome and Safari was due to a bug which was introduced in BookMacster 1.17 (2013 Sep 06).  It has now been fixed for BookMacster 1.19.2, which we need to publish soon.

I still have never seen a bookmark in the Reading List completely disappear.  We are testing with iCloud:Safari ON.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2013 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
We've reproduced behavior that mimics this problem.  For us, bookmarks in the Reading List do not disappear, though.  They get moved into the Bookmarks Menu.  Conceivably, they could also go into the Favorites Bar or the Root.  To gjug2, richardjames, or anyone else reading this thread because they saw the same issue: When you get a chance, please see if the missing bookmarks might be elsewhere.  To do this, you could open your document in BookMacster and search for a few of them using the Quick Search field in the toolbar, or else if you have still have the re-created ones in your Reading List they would show as duplicates with Bookmarkshelf > Find Duplicates.

The reason for them being moved is probably related to the fact that, because Chrome does not have anything like a Reading List,  they are exported to Chrome's Other Bookmarks, and upon later importing from Chrome, BookMacster thinks that you moved them there and want them there.  I thought that we had in place a mechanism to prevent such errant moves, but maybe it stopped working for some reason.  We're working on it now.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

richardjames
Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2013 at 6:06am
Print Post  
Jerry hi again,

Thanks, That looks a bit simpler than my method. Only my way I was able to import just the items in the reading list so wasn't left with any cleaning up. Anyhow thanks. I'm pretty sure I'll be needing more guidance from you and the team in due course.

Cheers, Richard

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2013 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
richardjames wrote on Oct 27th, 2013 at 3:54pm:
I too have lost my reading list with syncing.  Not sure why???
OK, we're going to try harder to try and reproduce the problem.

richardjames wrote on Oct 27th, 2013 at 3:54pm:
Just recovered my reading list items, one at a time, by getting my Safari Bookmarks.plist from my last nights backup. Then I read the plist in ASCII form (using plist editor) and copying the individual items into my Safari browser, going to the relevant page and clicking to add in to the 'empty' reading list. Tedious but it worked okay.
In case anyone else needs to import from a Bookmarks.plist file, there's an easier way.
  • Activate BookMacster, and a Bookmarkshelf document, such as your normal Bookmarkshel document which is configured for syncing, that you'd like to restore the missing bookmarks (or any bookmarks) into.
  • Click in the menu: File > Import from only > Choose File (Advanced)
  • Probably you want an Overlay, so bullet Overlay.
  • Bullet Existing File and select whatever file format you're going to import from.  For a Safari Bookmarks.plist file, the correct answer is, of course, Safari, but this also works for files from other browser.
  • As the instructions say, Choose a Safari bookmarks file with extension '.plist'.  If you need to navigate into your library folder, type the keyboard shortcut ⌘⇧G (command+shift+G) and then enter ~/Library.
  • Select the subject .plist file and click Choose.  Bookmarks will be imported into the Bookmarkshelf document
  • Do any cleaning up or whatever.
  • If desired, export to browser(s) using either menu: File > Export All or menu: File > Export to only>.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

richardjames
Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2013 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Hi, please excuse my jumping in on this but I too have lost my reading list with syncing.

Not sure why???

Just recovered my reading list items, one at a time, by getting my Safari Bookmarks.plist from my last nights backup. Then I read the plist in ASCII form (using plist editor) and copying the individual items into my Safari browser, going to the relevant page and clicking to add in to the 'empty' reading list. Tedious but it worked okay. Also I turned off iCloud for Safari before doing this for safety. I hope this may be of some help to you.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2013 at 5:10am
Print Post  
Hello gjug2,

No.  This is not a known issue.  I just retested BookMacster with four round-trip Import+Export operations, two with iCloud:Safari ON in System Preferences and two with iCloud:Safari off.  In all cases, the bookmarks which I had put in the Reading List in Safari were untouched, as expected.

Maybe you could reply and tell us the steps to reproduce this.  For example, here are the steps for one of my tests…

• In BookMacster, if syncing, Pause it.
• In Safari, add three bookmarks to Reading List.
• In BookMacster, File > Import from only > Safari, then Normal Import
• In Safari, disorder some bookmarks, not in the Reading List
• In BookMacster, File > Export to only > Safari, then Normal Export.

Result:

Disordered bookmarks are put back in the original order.
Three bookmarks in Reading List are still there.

Are you using iCloud:Safari?
What version of BookMacster?  (Latest version is 1.19.1, but any reasonably recent version should work I think.)

You mentioned that you might be restoring Safari's Bookmarks.plist file.  Make sure you don't do that while iCloud:Safari is switched ON in System Preferences.  I haven't tested it lately, but in the past that has caused iCloud to become a bookmarks thunderstorm.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

gjug2
BookMacster v/s Safari ReadingList
Oct 27th, 2013 at 1:16am
Print Post  
Hi -

Looks like every sync erases Reading List content from Bookmarks.plist of Safari (ver. 7 on OSX 10.9) - is this:

- a known issue (if so, is there a get-around / eta for bug fix)?
- user error (a setting somewhere I'm missing?)

For now, restored a pre-sync bookmarks.plist from a backup, and have it on desktop to read/import when addressed.

Tx.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint