Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Can't find a explanation of "central store" (Read 5114 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Can't find a explanation of "central store"
Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2015 at 3:59am
Print Post  
We read through the documentation and decided to purge the term Central Store from all user interface and documentation, in favor of using BookMacster Directly, which was already used in some places.  Here is the definition that will appear in the Help Book in BookMacster 1.22.34:

To use BookMacster *directly* means to land new bookmarks to and visit existing bookmarks using one of the facilities listed in the table below, byassing the built-in bookmarks in web browsers such as Safari.  The advantage of this workflow is that it has fewer moving parts and works faster.  The disadvantage of using this method exclusively is that it will not sync your bookmarks to non-Macintosh devices such as iOS devices, Android devices or computers running Microsoft Windows or Linux.  Users of this workflow ignore the Bookmarks menu, Bookmarks Bar, Favorites Bar, etc., and all of the built-in bookmarks in web browsers.  They might even remove all bookmarks from them, just to be tidy.

The table referred to lists:

Global keyboard shortcuts
Menu Extra
Dock Menu
Browser Menu Items (provided by our Firefox extension)
Browser Toolbar Button (provided by our Chrome extension)

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Can't find a explanation of "central store"
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Hello, Steve.

Thank you for reporting the missing information in the documentation.  I've entered a bug into our bug tracker to fix it.

The short answer to your question is "no".  Although BookMacster will always be a central store for your bookmarks, you are not going to use it as such.  You are not going to access your bookmarks in BookMacster directly.  You are going to sync BookMacster with the built-in bookmarks in your web browser, and you will access bookmarks within your web browsers, as you always have, using their built-in Bookmarks menu.

If you were going to actually use BookMacster as a central store, you would ignore that Bookmarks menu, Favorites Bar, etc., all of the built-in bookmarks in web browsers such as Safari.  You might just as well remove all bookmarks from them.

It's confusing because, if you set up BookMacster's keyboard shortcut, you can actually do both.  But just set up your syncing for now.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Steve
Can't find a explanation of "central store"
Feb 23rd, 2015 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Hello,

I'm totally new to BookMacaster and have spent almost a couple of hours trying to figure out how I might best use it, but the thing that is really holding me back is that I cannot find a clear definition and explantation of what a "central store" is.

When the program first opens, as a new user I'm asked to pick how I want to use BookMacaster, but the little explanations are too similar to really know what to pick.

So I started researching the help files, but still have no answer.

I've reviewed (many times now) the help files for:
1.5.  BookMacster : Sync Browsers
1.6.  BookMacster as a Central Store
1.7.  BookMacster : Custom Usages
4.1.  Glossary (I thought for sure a definition would be here, but it's not)
4.10  Multi-Device Sync Configurations
4.12  More About Syncing Among Macs

I know I want to setup a system like the example "4.10.1  Example 1: One Synkmark or BookMacster on One Bridge Mac", but it's not clear to me if this requires a "Central Store" or not.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Steve Huh

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint