Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Folders Not Sorting (Read 3061 times)
MJP
Re: Folders Not Sorting
Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2022 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
That seems to have sorted it!  Many thanks!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2022 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
I have reproduced the problem, MJP.  To fix it,

• Activate Synkmark (or BookMacster).

• In the Content tab of the .bmco document window, select all items in the Other Bookmarks hard folder (*).

• While holding down the control key on the keyboard, click any of the selected items.  A contextual menu will appear.

• In that contextual menu, click the item Move to > Root.

• If you are using BookMacster, click the tab: Settings > Structure, then switch off the checkbox for Other Bookmarks.  Return to the Content tab and verify that Other Bookmarks has disappeared.

• If Syncing is not ready (yellow dot), click the Syncing button in the toolbar, and Export as prompted.  If Syncing is ready, click in the menu: File > Export

• Quit Synkmark as usual.

After doing this, I tested adding bookmarks and folders in Chrome and Safari, and they all stayed together in one big happy sorted family.

The reason for the original problem is explained in the attached screenshot mash-up.  After seeing how confusing this can be, I think that we're going to make some changes in future versions of Synkmark.  Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

(*) To select all items quickly, first if the Other Bookmarks is not already showing its contents (expanded), expand the Other Bookmarks folder by clicking its disclosure arrow which is to the left of the name.  Then, while holding down the option key, click that arrow again which will collapse it and, because of the option key, collapse any subfolders inside it.  Then release the option key and click the disclosure arrow again.  This will expand it once again, but this time any subfolders will be collapsed, so the list will be as short as possible.  Then, select all items by clicking the first item, and finally the last item while holding down the shift key.  By the way, this method works in any macOS app which has adopted the macOS standard Outline View.

Original Problem:

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

MJP
Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Hi Jerry,

Sorry, I was being a little unclear.

This is what I am seeing.  I have SyncMark running (in that I have it functioning but have quit so it can run in background).

I have my folders set to:
Sort the Root - Yes
Default - Do Sort
Sort alpha-numerically by - Name
Within each folder, sort: folders and bookmarks mixed together.

Now, when I open Safari bookmarks my added folder is at the top of the list, but in Chrome it is at the bottom.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2022 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Hello, Matt.

Thank you for contacting us.  I'm not sure which "sort folders" control you are referring to.  There are quite a few settings for how sorting is done in Preferences > Sorting.

More importantly, though, when a new folder is added, it is not sorted to its proper position until a sorting operation is actually done.  There are two ways to initiate a sorting operation:

1.  Manually.  Run Synkmark and click in the main menu: Bookmarks > Sort All.  (You can also sort inidividual folders by performing a secondary click on a parent folder, then select the Sort by menu item and the items inside that parent folder will be sorted.

2.  Automatically.  This is the more normal way.  After you have configured syncing, quit Synkmark and then add a new folder in one the web browsers you had configured to sync in Synkmark (either during the initial setup or in Preferences > Syncing.)  After a few minutes, the new folder will be moved to its sorted location.

If automatic sorting (which is part of syncing) does not work, please check out our Top Reasons for Syncing Trouble.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

MJP
Folders Not Sorting
Jun 20th, 2022 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Hi there, I am using Syncmark, I have "sort folders activated but "new added folders" all end up at the top....

Matt

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint