Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Find Duplicates not showing all duplicates (Read 1908 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Find Duplicates not showing all duplicates
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2022 at 4:41am
Print Post  
Look carefully at the URLs of two bookmarks which you think should be detected as duplicates but are not.  Bookmarks will only be detected to be in the same Duplicate Group if they have exactly the same URL, character-by-character, as explained in Removing Duplicates.  This is usually pretty aggressive, because our apps also normalize URLs when they are first entered or imported.

The one thing that our normalization does not do is to remove trailing slashes, and there is a reason for that, but you can do that with the Aggresively Normal URLs command.

There is no way to mark a folder as allowing duplicates.  Here are two alternatives which others have used to get close to what you want

1.  Ignore duplicates in different hard folders.  This feature is typically used if you want to allow bookmarks in, for example, your Favorites aka Bookmarks Bar to have duplicates which are elsewhere.  I think this is where you may have read that Preferences > General reference.  (The next sentence states that for BookMacster, the setting in not in Preferences but is instead in the document window's Settings tab > General.

2.  Use the multiple-selection smartness of our Inspector.  You can set Allow duplicates for all bookmarks currently in a folder by using the shift key to extend the selection from the first item to the last item, then when all are selected, in the inspector switch on Allow duplicates.  The setting will be applied to all of the selected items.

Not many people use these features, so let us know if any of the above does not work as you expect.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Todd
Find Duplicates not showing all duplicates
Dec 16th, 2022 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Due to some issues with Firefox sync, I've got a number of duplicate bookmarks.  While there are a few that I want to keep duplicated (e.g. tool bar and in menu structure), there are many that I don't.  When I run the duplicate report, not all of the duplicated entries are showing up, and I don't know why.

I've looked at the inspector entry for several of these bookmarks, and none of them have the "allow duplicates" option checked.

The manual says there should be duplicates settings in Preferences -> General, but I don't see them in 3.0.8.

Is there a way that I can mark a folder as permitting duplicates, without having to mark each individual entry?  The inspector shows most of the options (duplicate, verify, etc.) as grayed out if I select a folder.

What's going on, and how do I fix it?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint