Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) One step forward, 5 steps back (Read 14374 times)
Rob Lewis
Re: One step forward, 5 steps back
Reply #11 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Late to this party, but one function I didn't see anybody else mention is tagging bookmarks. This is a pretty big deal to me. Firefox supports it, but no others that I know of.

I don't know if it's even applicable, but there's a fairly recent tagging standard aborning called "OpenMeta". Support for that would be awesome, if doable.

IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #10 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
understood. Good luck finishing and polishing.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
?ô wrote on Aug 29th, 2010 at 1:01pm:
EDIT: Found the beta. Sry for not looking properly. Maybe you can setup a sticky for the 1.1 beta? So there would be more people testing it.

For anyone interested, find it here:
http://sheepsystems.com/bookmacster/beta/BookMacster.zip
Indeed, but let me quote from that other thread … at this time BookMacster 1.1.x (beta) will not open Bookmarkshelf documents created with BookMacster 1.0.x.  So, if you've been using BookMacster 1.0.x and are reasonably happy with it, just wait until BookMacster 1.1.x shows up in Check for Update.

That's why we didn't make a sticky.  It's a quite "limited" beta, recommended for new users only at this time.

Back to work on finishing it up!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Hi Albert, welcome to the boat with the people trying to properly setup BookMacster Tongue

Is there any news on 1.1 beta or 1.1 final (read 1.1.1 was in the works). Not meant as a pressure but August is almost over. Any rough timeline? Mid or late Sept?

EDIT: Found the beta. Sry for not looking properly. Jerry, maybe you can setup a sticky for the 1.1 beta? So there would be more people testing it.

For anyone interested, find it here:
   [Editor says: See next message in this thread.]

cheers,
FatalError

IP Logged

Albert
Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Jerry thanks for at least listing to us when we have issues with BookMaster, a step in the right direction. BUT to be honest it is very frustration to use ( as the saying goes, using MAC Apps should make life easier but not in this case).
i am in the same boat as HC, Fatalerror and the rest. BookMacster is too complicated and very frustrating to setup.Using this application is like finding oil in Timbuktu. i just need this app to sync, sort.
Please simplify the process for us(95% of us)
thanks

IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Good to hear and I can't wait to test 1.1.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Well, we don't need a formal poll.  Changes in BookMacster 1.1 are primarily to address these concerns of making it "just work", without little or no thinking, for the 95% of users that fall into the two categories you listed.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 10:17am
Print Post  
I so have to agree with hc. My feeling is excately the same and I once wrote a similar post.

Jerry, why don't you make a poll on these forums what use case users have when using BookMacster?

- sync between browsers
- only sorting

My usecase is identical to the one of hc. And I just miserably failed at setting up BM with a new bookmarkshelf.

And I also think I am an experienced mac user. Now think about the "wife-test". Or older people or just avarage users (the people who not read every forum entry and the whole help file). They will delete BM after 1 week of failure.

This is not intended to bitch around but to be constructive criticism.

And I so wish BM would suceed.

IP Logged

Doug in Alaska
Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 4:05am
Print Post  
I switched to a mac three years ago after running a pc for many, many years.  I have no problems with this application and quite frankly, it's been the answer to my prayers.  However, I agree, the GUI can be improved.  I haven't used all the advanced features but it provides me with everything I need from a sync utility and more.  JMHO

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Thank for the feedback.

hc wrote on Jun 13th, 2010 at 3:41pm:
I would say that 98% of us simply want the app to do one thing: keep our bookmarks synced across browsers. ... If that is the premise of this app
Not quite.  Although I agree with the idea, I'd set your 98% number at only 50%.  There are also 30% who just want to keep bookmarks sorted, 10% who just want a replacement for URL Manager Pro, and the remaining 10% actually need to do fine tuning in the Clients, Structure or Agents tabs, i.e. the Advanced Interface.

Presently, the 30% bookmarks-sorters are the only ones who are spared the agony of the Advanced Interface.  We need to spare the 50% bookmarks-syncers and 10% pure-bookmarkers too.  Here is a screenshot of our prototype non-advanced Agents tab:

The first three boxes set up an agent which reacts to changes from the local browsers, and the last box to sync from other Macs via Dropbox.  (There is no option whether or not to reload a Dropbox update to an open .bkmslf file.  It's hard-wired YES.  Learned that from BBEdit.)

And the prototype non-advanced Clients tab will be one or maybe two (separate import and export?) controls as in Address Book.app where you click a "[+]" button to add an item (email address or Client).  Just list your clients.  All options are hard-wired to the most popular values.

so I can only imagine what it would do to a much wider market base that's been introduced to Apple in the last few years.
Agreed.  You don't see us doing any advertising or promotion beyond our own website yet.

I want this app to succeed. I truly do. Once again with Bookmacster, the ability to sync across multiple browsers is the sole domain of this app.
Well, I swim a Masters workout several days a week at the Santa Clara Swim Club.  As I sometimes tell others during the "crunch time" of the main set, "If this was easy, everybody would be here".

Jerry, reach out to your community and ask us what would make your app a success.
Sure, if anyone has any suggestions beyond what I've outlined above, now is a great time.

Thanks to you too, F451.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

F451
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
With the advent of Safari 5, Chrome, and Firefox evolving too, I think we should give Jerry and his team a chance to bring BookMacster around to where they want it. This is no easy task as syncing browsers and the platforms we are now using them on are exponentially (to borrow a term from your post) developing faster than ever before.

The GUI has never won any awards and yes, the processes of using BookMacster are more along developer lines, but it is still is my choice of utilities in its categories. I have a feeling that BookMacster will undergo a major change to address what is happening today. I'm on board and will support Sheep Systems' pitfalls and progress. Now is not the time for a mutiny, but more a time for some faith.  Smiley

IP Logged

hc
One step forward, 5 steps back
Jun 13th, 2010 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
First, let me say that Jerry (the developer) is a great guy. Bookdog even with its idiosyncrasies and slowness did its job masterfully. It's the only app of its kind. I spread the word about it to everyone, who like me, jumps from browser to browser. With the recommendation was a simple caution to overlook its complexity and just give it a shot.

Sadly, Bookmacster is one of the most regressive steps backwards I've seen in any app. By orders of magnitude. I hate to be so brutally honest. This is coming from someone who respects the effort of the developer, his personalized customer service, and how wonderfully Bookdog did its job.

No software should be this complex and hard to understand. And I'm not a total idiot. I would say I'm an advanced Mac user.

The UI needs the spit and polish of a Mac app. But more importantly, it needs totally rethought. I would say that 98% of us simply want the app to do one thing: keep our bookmarks synced across browsers. If that is the premise of this app, then there's got to be a monumental way to hide all this complexity. We just don't need to see it. It frustrates me, so I can only imagine what it would do to a much wider market base that's been introduced to Apple in the last few years.

I want this app to succeed. I truly do. Once again with Bookmacster, the ability to sync across multiple browsers is the sole domain of this app. But it's just not going to reach adoption like it could without a complete front-end overhaul.

Jerry, reach out to your community and ask us what would make your app a success.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint