Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic encryption in and across the cloud(s) (Read 3266 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: encryption in and across the cloud(s)
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2011 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Dan ODonnell wrote on Jul 5th, 2011 at 1:02pm:
Given the new TOS from DropBox where they claim to own everything, I'd like all my stuff in their cloud to be encrypted. Is there any encryption either currently built in or planned?
No.  There are two aspects to encryption in a cloud service (1) encryption during transmission and (2) encryption during storage in their servers.  In this article,

https://www.dropbox.com/help/27

Dropbox claims to do both:

Dropbox uses modern encryption methods to both transfer and store your data.

Presuming you know this, I believe you are concerned with the possibility that, as they admit in that article, your password must be stored somewhere on their servers, and it is physically possible for a Dropbox employee with enough access, and legally possible if they receive one of those sneak and peek letters from Homeland Security, to get your password and therefore look at your data.  So what you'd like to do is encrypt files before even putting them in your Dropbox, that is, add another, inner layer of encryption, so that when the Dropbox employee with your password looks into your directory, all they'll see is encrypted files.

It's an interesting idea, is certainly do-able, and someone may already have done it.  But if we were going to do this, it would be a separate product as just described that would encrypt the entire Dropbox.  The reason is that most people have lots of data which they would consider to be far more private than their bookmarks.

Dan ODonnell wrote on Jul 5th, 2011 at 1:02pm:
Can I encrypt manually (though that would be a nuisance)?
You should look for another software product which does as you describe.  If you don't find anything, I suppose something could be constructed with AppleScript and Folder Actions to make a kind of Inner Dropbox in which you would put your BookMacster Bookmarkshelf and other files.  The script would encrypt the files and then move them to your real Dropbox, and vice versa when Dropbox updates from the cloud.  Or something like that.

Regarding the demise of iDisk, we're studying how BookMacster can work through iCloud.  So far, we've learned that it's definitely much better than iDisk.  Won't work on your old PowerPC Mac, though. Cry

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Dan ODonnell
encryption in and across the cloud(s)
Jul 5th, 2011 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Greetings,

I'm about to acquire BookMacster, as soon as I get all my URLMP files exported for ease of import by BookMacster and as soon as I read more of the Help manual.

I plan to use it across multiple machines (most are Intel, 10.6.x; one is PPC 10.5.8), currently syncing through iDisk or DropBox. At some point I'll run out of iDisk (when Apple kills it) so will have to use something else.

Given the new TOS from DropBox where they claim to own everything, I'd like all my stuff in their cloud to be encrypted. Is there any encryption either currently built in or planned? Can I encrypt manually (though that would be a nuisance)? What form of encryption (AES, ?)

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint