Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Request: guide to syncing Firefox & iCloud (Read 5395 times)
Kwan
Re: Request: guide to syncing Firefox & iCloud
Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Jerry, I feel a lot of respect Cool to see your fair comment defending Xmarks, your major potential competitor, though I think you two do have somewhat different market segments.  Apple can be a real pain like that.  They completely stuffed up PGP's full disk encryption without notice and caused no ends of serious problems for all the PGP users(I'm talking about complete lock out of their entire system for weeks!).

I think what frustrates a lot of the Xmarks users is their lack of communication.  No response for months on end, though I've just managed to "poked" them for a reply by recommending Bookmacster on their forum(with other comments)! muhahahaha.... Grin

BTW: the video was invaluable.  I first downloaded Bookmacster a couple of months ago and the very detailed explanation kinda scared and put me off initially.  I was fumbling for ages until I found the video.  I think that video would cover 80% of your users and maybe it should be made more prominent (together with a brief overview of Bookmacster's full potential), before the rest of the details are given in full.  This would ease a new user into Bookmacster and they will discover all the other uber features in good time.  Smiley

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2012 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Mar 17th, 2012 at 1:39pm:
[quote author=7C6C777F707D7F6D767771701E0 link=1331984156/0#0 date=1331984156]Is there a guide available to help me set up syncing between Firefox and iCloud (even if I have to use Safari as a "middle man")?
A few weeks ago we put together a little screencast showing how to sync Safari, Firefox and Chrome.  It runs 2 and a half minutes.  Just omit checking the box, etc. for Chrome…

http://www.sheepsystems.com/products/bkmx/movies/sync-saf-fox-chr/

brijazz wrote on Mar 17th, 2012 at 11:35am:
I (and many others) are tired of waiting for Xmarks to get their act together and would be happy to move to Bookmacster.
It's not their fault.  When Xmarks built their system, they used the method which was published and recommended by Apple to sync Safari bookmarks.  This method was very complicated to use and somewhat buggy, and Xmarks engineers must have labored hard to get it working.  Then when iCloud came along, Apple pulled the rug out from under them.  Well, not exactly, because it still kind of works.  They just cut some big holes in the rug for remodeling and then decided it would be too messy to go back and patch them.  As far as I can tell, this was done by omission on Apple's part, and probably without warning to Xmarks.

Regarding the "middle man" thing, although BookMacster does not use Safari as a middle man, it uses Safari bookmarks as a middle man.  In other words, if you set a different default browser, and remove Safari from your Dock and never use it, BookMacster will still sync to your iOS devices.  But if you ever launch Safari, you'll see bookmarks synced by BookMacster.

It would be interesting to trash the Safari application package and see if BookMacster still worked to iOS devices.  I think it would, but I've never tried it.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2012 at 3:30pm by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2012 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Is there a guide available to help me set up syncing between Firefox and iCloud (even if I have to use Safari as a "middle man")?
A few weeks ago we put together a little screencast showing how to sync Safari, Firefox and Chrome.  It runs 2 and a half minutes.  Just omit checking the box, etc. for Chrome…

http://www.sheepsystems.com/products/bkmx/movies/sync-saf-fox-chr/

I (and many others) are tired of waiting for Xmarks to get their act together and would be happy to move to Bookmacster.
It's not their fault.  When Xmarks built their system, they used the method which was published and recommended by Apple to sync Safari bookmarks.  This method was very complicated to use and somewhat buggy, and Xmarks engineers must have labored hard to get it working.  Then when iCloud came along, Apple pulled the rug out from under them.  Well, not exactly, because it still kind of works.  They just cut some big holes in the rug for remodeling and then decided it would be too messy to go back and patch them.  As far as I can tell, this was done by omission on Apple's part, and probably without warning to Xmarks.

Regarding the "middle man" thing, although BookMacster does not use Safari as a middle man, it uses Safari bookmarks as a middle man.  In other words, if you remove Safari from your Dock and never use it, BookMacster will still sync to your iOS devices.  But if you ever launch Safari, you'll see bookmarks synced by BookMacster.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

brijazz
Request: guide to syncing Firefox & iCloud
Mar 17th, 2012 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Is there a guide available to help me set up syncing between Firefox and iCloud (even if I have to use Safari as a "middle man")? 

If someone can let me know how to get this up-and-running, I will definitely purchase Bookmacster!  I (and many others) are tired of waiting for Xmarks to get their act together and would be happy to move to Bookmacster.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint