Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Writing Safari: Waiting for updates by iCloud (Read 10542 times)
Clyde
Re: Writing Safari: Waiting for updates by iCloud
Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
My amateur analysis of the problem seemed to be that, "something was stuck" vis à vis SafariDAVClient.  And when I gave it a way to chill for a while, by shutting off the iCloud Bookmarks sync, that when it came back up to bat it had a clear head and could do it's job.  Now it's batting 1.000

I guess I/we don't really have to worry too much about the 100,000 bookmark scenario since I have BookMacster. If iCloud did make a mess of Safari bookmarks all I need do is lean on the delete key for a while in Safari and then export my clean copy from BookMacster  Cool

Have a great day.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Clyde wrote on Jul 2nd, 2012 at 5:51pm:
turning iCloud Bookmarks sync off, waiting a bit for SafariDAVClient to quit naturally, and then turning it back on was the fix for me.
Thank you for the follow-up, Clyde.  Since it started again after a restart, it must have been Apple's server which felt the need to sync.  I wonder what on earth it was doing.  I was worried that you were going to have 100,000 bookmarks.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Clyde
Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Good Morning.
Shut Down the computer last night.
Boot this morning.
SafariDAVClient was still running.  (persistant little bugger) albeit with much less memory consumption.  CPU was flashing between nil & 20% (3.4GHz Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB 1333 MHz RAM)
I tried to export from BookMacster - got the 613902 error after 15 min +/-

Yes, device = iOS device, so yes, I'm struggling onward Smiley

My next step was to shut off Bookmarks sync in System Prefs, iCloud
SafariDAVClient kept running ... for at least 5 minutes ... then I got distracted doing other things and when I glanced back at Activity Monitor I noticed that SafariDAVClient had quit.  OK, great.  So I exported from BookMacster & it ran easy as pie. 

So now I have turned Bookmarks sync back on and accepted that terrifying message about merging ...

So far so good (now about 45min / hour) - Safari looks happy, Bookmarks have synced to my iOS device & laptop.
I tried another export and SafariDAVClient came on, did it's job, and then quit.  I would guess that is the "normal" behavior for that process. 

So, I would say problem solved.

My Conclusion: turning iCloud Bookmarks sync off, waiting a bit for SafariDAVClient to quit naturally, and then turning it back on was the fix for me.   

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 6:25am
Print Post  
Clyde wrote on Jul 2nd, 2012 at 6:14am:
check out the memory use of your suspect (attached image)
Indeed, SafariDAVClient is being a very busy beaver.  With all that activity, I hope it's only talking to itself and not really doing anything with your bookmarks or other Safari data.

Clyde wrote on Jul 2nd, 2012 at 6:14am:
I only want iCloud bookmarks to sync to my devices.
If those devices are iOS devices, then you need iCloud.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Clyde
Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 6:14am
Print Post  
Sounds good.  I'll reboot & try in the morning.
In the meantime, check out the memory use of your suspect (attached image) - I'd say we're on the right track.

I only want iCloud bookmarks to sync to my devices.  Otherwise I don't need it for bookmarks.  Between computers I'm now using my Dropbox based BookMarkShelf

2012-07-01_at_11_09_47_PM.jpg ( 42 KB | 377 Downloads )
2012-07-01_at_11_09_47_PM.jpg
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 6:00am
Print Post  
Hello Clyde,

BookMacster is supposed give up waiting for iCloud after a given timeout, which is 15 seconds when you initiate an export manually, the timeout is 15 seconds.  It appears to be using the other timeout of 20 minutes instead.  We'll get that fixed.

Now, on to the real issue you're having.  Please try this…

• Try the Export to One ClientSafari again, and see if it works now.

If you still get Error 613902,

• Activate Finder.
• Click in the menu: Go ▸ Utilities.
• Launch the application named "Activity Monitor".

You will see a window showing all the processes running on your Mac.

• Into the Filter field at at the top right, type SafariDAV.

If you see a process named SafariDAVClient listed, this indicates that indeed iCloud is either syncing your bookmarks, or has gotten stuck, and this is the reason why BookMacster won't export.  Although you can quit or Force Quit SafariDAVClient in Activity Monitor by clicking the Quit Process button, and this will free up BookMacster, I wouldn't do that.  I would restart instead.  Probably the effect will be the same, but when playing with iCloud one should take every possible opportunity to be nice, lest it get upset and produce thousands of duplicate bookmarks, as some iCloud users have reported, for example, here…

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3416727

If you get Error 613902 in BookMacster when SafariDAVClient is not listed (not running), I'm going to have to think real hard.

Let us know what you find.

Finally, if you are not using iCloud Bookmarks to sync multiple Macs or iOS devices, you should switch it off.  You do that in System Preferences ▸ iCloud.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Clyde
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 1:16am
Print Post  
PS. After about 15-20 minutes this time I got the following: error message.
I tried the suggested Export to One Client, Safari and same deal as described above.
Thanks.

2012-07-01_at_6_14_19_PM.jpg ( 36 KB | 419 Downloads )
2012-07-01_at_6_14_19_PM.jpg
IP Logged

Clyde
Writing Safari: Waiting for updates by iCloud
Jul 2nd, 2012 at 1:08am
Print Post  
Hi Jerry,

I have had trouble exporting to Safari.  BookMacster hangs with status bar message,
Writing Safari: Waiting for updates by iCloud.

Stop Workers & Agents is grayed out.

I let it run for quite a while (an hour). 
Sometimes I have to force quit BookMacster.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Clyde

PS. I am managing all my bookmarks in BookMacster these days adding all new bookmarks to my Bookmarkshelf.
Periodically I sort (command+J) then export (command+U) to Chrome & Safari.  (no agents set.  2 clients set: chrome & safari, export check boxes ticked)

2012-07-01_at_5_59_34_PM.jpg ( 11 KB | 347 Downloads )
2012-07-01_at_5_59_34_PM.jpg
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint