Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Starting over... (Read 5866 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Starting over...
Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 3:58am
Print Post  
Thank you for the follow-up, Sporkman.

If you would send those crash reports to our support email, I'd like to have a look at them.  If you are not sure how to find them, I just finished uploaded a new version (317) of our Trouble Zipper which, I think, successfully works around all of the latest security hurdles Apple has built into macOS 10.15.2.

Trouble Zipper will scrape out all crash reports for our apps by default.  To run Trouble Zipper, run any of our apps and click in the menu: Help > Trouble Zipper.  The app will download and run the latest Trouble Zipper.  For just sending crash reports, answer Don't Include to the several questions asked by Trouble Zipper.  Crash reports are always included, provided that you answer Allow when it asks for permission to access system files and write to your Desktop.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

sporkman
Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2020 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
See, this is how long it takes me to revisit this stuff! Smiley

I followed the long-form directions and that is currently working. I just have to remember to periodically check that the sync is still syncing.

I do have a few crash logs - after updating to the latest and then starting the "reset and start over" part of the instructions, I had Synkmark lock up (3+ times, spinny wheel, "application not responding") and crash with a sigsegv (2 times). This is on 10.12, so perhaps that has something to do with it...

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
sporkman wrote on Nov 4th, 2019 at 6:54pm:
Anyhow, a few weeks ago I did this whole "start over" process.

Here's what happened:

- I saved an html version of my bookmarks from both Chrome and Brave (Brave had imported from Chrome on install) so that I'd have a backup should things go wrong.
- I followed the "Reset and start over" prompts
- I was presented with a window that appeared to have all my bookmarks
- Went into Safari and nuked all bookmarks, verified this propagated to my laptop and phone via icloud
- Started sync
- Closed Synkmark window
- Checked Safari, had a very limited list of bookmarks that seemed entirely random, same on laptop.
When you "Started sync", it should have prompted you to Export, which would have puahed all of the bookmarks from Synkmark into the empty Safari.  But two steps later, you saw the bookmarks in Safari were "very limited" and "random".  This leads me to suspect that maybe your iCloud bookmarks need to be rebuilt.  You almost did that, though, because "nuking" all bookmarks in Safari is the central step in the rebuild procedure.  You did not say, however, that you waited at least 20 minutes to ensure that iCloud did not resurrect any of the nuked bookmarks.

At that point, abandoned things again because who has time for that nonsense? Smiley

Last night was in Safari and was wanting to add a bookmark, remembered that it was a mess. Opened Synkmark, got a window telling me it was "waiting" on something. Let it sit overnight.

Saw Synkmark bouncing in the Dock this morning. Same thing with the "waiting" window.

Followed these instructions: http://www.sheepsystems.com/files/support_articles/bkmx/processing-forever.html
That fix is only for when you saw a little windnow that indicates Processing….  If you are indeed seeing Waiting…, it is a different issue.  Also, we have had no reports of getting stuck on Processing… now since December 2018.

#2 let the app launch. No bookmarks.

In poking through ~/Library/Application Support/  I see a bunch of .sql, .sql-shm, and .sql-wal files.
Yes, this does indicate something is wrong.  If indeed you just started over, there should be at most 12 .sql, .sql-shm and .sql-wal files.  You have around 50, indicating that five or so new Synkmark documents have been created since you started over.  There should be only one.  Something is not working.

#2How can I really and truly start over as if this is a new install? Nuke that whole directory, what else?
I think that Reset and Start Over… does nuke that whole directory, or at least empties it out.  You can't really see that because it immediately starts repopulating it with new files.  I think it probably did clean it as expected, because, as you noted in your later edit, all file modification dates are after your Reset and Start Over… time.  In addition to cleaning out this directory, Reset and Start Over… also resets most Preferences, but those are usually not a cause of trouble.

I think you should Reset and Start Over… again, with some extra insurance steps….  If anything does not work or indicates an error, stop the procedure and tell me.
  • Ensure that you have a recent version of Synkmark, 2.9.15 or later.
  • Reset and Start Over…, indicating Safari and Brave.
  • Click in the menu: File > Save.
  • Verify that the window's title is Synkmark.bmco, indicating that this file has been saved to disk OK.
  • Assuming that this window imported and now contains the garbage currently in Safari, click in the menu: Bookmarks > Delete all content.
  • Click in the menu: File > Import only > Choose file (Advanced), .html.
  • Click in the menu: File > Save.  Verify that nothing bad is indicated.
  • Reorganize bookmarks as desired.
  • Click in the menu: File > Save.
  • Nuke all bookmarks in Safari.
  • Wait 20 minutes and verify that no bookmarks reappear in Safari in any device.
  • Verify that Synkmark has Full Disk Access.[/i]
  • Click in the menu: File > Export to all.
  • Immediately, verify that Safari has the bookmarks from Synkmark.
  • Wait 20 minutes.
  • Again, verify that Safari has the bookmarks from Synkmark – that iCloud has not changed anything.
  • In Synkmark, switch on Syncing and, when prompted, Export again.
  • Immediately, verify that Safari has the bookmarks from Synkmark.
  • Quit Synkmark.

Also, I really, really wish that there was some kind of menubar item to indicate the status of syncing...
It's on our list of things to do.  I hope to get to it soon.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

sporkman
Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Sorry, this takes me forever as I just don't seem to find the time to get into another project. I also recently moved from Chrome to Brave.

Anyhow, a few weeks ago I did this whole "start over" process.

Here's what happened:

- I saved an html version of my bookmarks from both Chrome and Brave (Brave had imported from Chrome on install) so that I'd have a backup should things go wrong.
- I followed the "Reset and start over" prompts
- I was presented with a window that appeared to have all my bookmarks
- Went into Safari and nuked all bookmarks, verified this propagated to my laptop and phone via icloud
- Started sync
- Closed Synkmark window
- Checked Safari, had a very limited list of bookmarks that seemed entirely random, same on laptop

At that point, abandoned things again because who has time for that nonsense? Smiley

Last night was in Safari and was wanting to add a bookmark, remembered that it was a mess. Opened Synkmark, got a window telling me it was "waiting" on something. Let it sit overnight.

Saw Synkmark bouncing in the Dock this morning. Same thing with the "waiting" window.

Followed these instructions: http://www.sheepsystems.com/files/support_articles/bkmx/processing-forever.html

#2 let the app launch. No bookmarks.

In poking through ~/Library/Application Support/  I see a bunch of .sql, .sql-shm, and .sql-wal files.

How can I really and truly start over as if this is a new install? Nuke that whole directory, what else?

Also, I really, really wish that there was some kind of menubar item to indicate the status of syncing...

edit: maybe there's something of interest here. Note that all the files are either modified on my "start over" date or today.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 4:30am
Print Post  
Hello, sporkman.

Thank you for contacting us.

As you have described your "cycle", I do not see that you ever switched syncing back on.

Regarding how to start over, the answer is:

• Launch Synkmark.
• Click in the menu: Synkmark > Check for Update.  If necessary, update to the latest version.

This group of steps is only needed if using macOS 10.14 or later…
• Click in the menu:  > System Preferences.
• Click the pane "Security & Privacy".
• Click the tab "Privacy".
• Scroll down to "Full Disk Access".
• Add "Synkmark" to the list.

• Click in the menu: Synkmark > Reset and Start Over…
• Follow the instructions given.  In particular, be sure that, at the end, you switch on "Syncing" (showing a big yellow dot) and then quit Synkmark.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

sporkman
Starting over...
Oct 3rd, 2019 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
I have Synkmark, and it seems like about every six months I repeat this cycle:

- Look for some bookmark I added on my laptop (where Safari is my primary, synced to icloud) on my desktop (Chrome is my primary)
- Find the bookmark isn't there
- Open Synkmark, look at bookmark list, note that the last sync is apparently months ago
- Click the exclamation point, get a warning that the list there will be pushed to all browsers
- Quit app and either forget about it for a few months and open safari to grab some bookmarks for manual "syncing" (open the link, add to chrome bookmarks) or post here

Clearly I'm doing something wrong. I just want the most bare bones, brain dead, two-way sync between two browsers on my desktop. I'm OK with iCloud syncing up my desktop and laptop safari, that's all I need.

What is my best option to just start over, merge bookmarks from both, and keep the auto sync going forever without touching it ever again?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint