Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Help to configure Bookmacster (Read 2912 times)
groot
Re: Help to configure Bookmacster
Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2022 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Thank you very much for your detailed explanations and your precious help Jerry.

I'll try with the configuration you recommend and if it doesn't work, I'll have to turn to an online bookmark hosting service (which is less intuitive than native browser bookmarks...).

Thanks again for your help and for your work!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2022 at 12:04am
Print Post  
groot wrote on Sep 19th, 2022 at 11:09pm:
I admit that I consulted the help but it is clearer for me because I didn't understand everything (my English level is not excellent ^^).
Your English looks good on the screen, but probably like my Spanish – much easier to do output than input.

Nevertheless, if I understand correctly, for alternative 1, if I make changes on Brave on computer 2, I have to wait to reconnect on computer 1 so that the changes are transmitted to Safari, then synchronized with iCloud to update Safari on iPhone and on Computer 2, right?
Correct.

Let's say computer 2 is my work computer, so that means I have to use computer 1 (my personal mac) after work for all bookmarks to update to Safari. Is that right?
Correct.

My personal computer (computer1) is always on standby (cover closed). Is there a solution to make it run the sync by itself during the day, even if it is closed? Or any solution to have more frequent updates on Computer 2?
BookMacster's syncing will work whenever the Mac is not sleeping.  Although Apple has been liberalizing the definition of sleep in recent macOS versions, I don't think sleep yet allows something like BookMacster's BkmxAgent (which does the syncing for us), and also it would need Brave, to work during sleep.  Safari's iCloud syncing may or may not work when the computer is sleeping; I don't know.  But Safari's iCloud syncing is handled by a background process, so it will occur even if Safari is not running.  The last time I looked t Brave, I did not see any background process.  So Brave Sync only works when Brave is running.  There are a half dozen or so Mac apps which supposedly prevent a Mac from sleeping.  I've never used any of them, so I cannot offer any testimony.  Here is the page for one of them on MacUpdate, and on the right side of the page is a list of similar apps.

Your original system might work as a modified Alternative #1 if only one BookMacster was active at a time, and if you allowed BookMacster and the browsers to run on Computer 1 and Computer 2 for a few minutes after making the last bookmark change.  In other words, since you can choose either Mac to be your "Bridge Mac", you could maybe have your work computer be the Bridge Mac while you are at work, put that one to sleep and then go home and your home computer becomes the Bridge Mac while you are at home.  I don't know, though.  Macs tend to wake up on their own at times (for example, there is, I think a Wake for network access checkbox in System Preferences (Settings in Ventura), so such an arrangement would be somewhat fragile at best.  Switching off internet access might be a good brute force solution to that  Cool  Then there is also the issue of how items' unique identifiers, which iCloud, Brave Sync and BookMacster use to identify items, would circulate through the system.  I would need more time to think about it and test, which I don't have at the moment.

So you see it gets really complicated, which is why I like to recommend just put BookMacster or Synkmark on one Mac only.  It will work, and you don't need to be an systems engineer to try and deduce all of the bad things that might happen.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

groot
Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2022 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
Hello,

Thank you very much for your answer. Thank you also for the diagram. I admit that I consulted the help but it is clearer for me because I didn't understand everything (my English level is not excellent ^^).

Nevertheless, if I understand correctly, for alternative 1, if I make changes on Brave on computer 2, I have to wait to reconnect on computer 1 so that the changes are transmitted to Safari, then synchronized with iCloud to update Safari on iPhone and on Computer 2, right?

Let's say computer 2 is my work computer, so that means I have to use computer 1 (my personal mac) after work for all bookmarks to update to Safari. Is that right?

My personal computer (computer1) is always on standby (cover closed). Is there a solution to make it run the sync by itself during the day, even if it is closed? Or any solution to have more frequent updates on Computer 2?

Thanks a lot for your help!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Help to ncconfigure Bookmacster
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2022 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Hello, Groat.

Thank you for contacting us.

Nice diagram - very easy to see the problem; you've created two sync loops.

A section in our Help Book explains how Sync Loops cause the problem you are seeing.  Yes, we need a better artist, but the idea is that those two guys are stepping on one another's work.

There are two correct ways to sync these devices, which we call Alternative 1 Bridge Mac and Alternative 2.  Each have advantages and disadvantages to each, again as explained in our Help Book, which you shoud read.

In your case, to implement something like our recommended Alternative 1, you would simply remove BookMacster from one of the Macs.  It would look like this:

Similarly, to implement something like our Alternative 2, you would switch off syncing in Safari and Brave on one of the computers.  One possible result:

A couple more things…

Most importantly, because of the current sync loop, your browsers are full of orphaned items, duplicates, etc.  So after you fix the sync loop, you must

• Switch off syncing in BookMacster.
• Clear out all items in all browsers.
• Reorganize and de-duplicate your bookmarks in BookMacster.

Please read some of the details of this procedure.

Finally, I should point out that your drawing shows that items flow from Computer 1, through iCloud Sync, then through iPhone, then through iCloud Sync again, then to Computer 2, and vice versa.  That is not quite correct.  In fact, all three devices connect  to iCloud, not to one another.  They are all "peers" in the system.  Similarly for Brave Sync.  You can see that in our diagrams which I linked to above.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

groot
Help to configure Bookmacster
Sep 19th, 2022 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Hello,

I've been trying for two days to configure Bookmacster for my use, but I still can't find the right formula and so I'm asking for your help.

Here is my case:
- I use two computers (macOS 12.5.1) every day: 1 personal and 1 professional.
On these two computers, I use Brave as my main browser (user1) and Safari as my secondary browser.
I am likely to modify my bookmarks on these two computers.
- On my phone, I use Safari as my main browser. Safari syncs via iCloud with both computers. Sometimes I also use Brave for some websites. I also update my bookmarks on Safari.
- Bookmacster is installed on my 2 computers, and the .bmco file is hosted on a Google Drive account connected to both computers.

I made a diagram of the configuration I made of Bookmacster on my 2 computers: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dHuKaEJTH86JCTPjAPKo_KFnZUYaLGhe/view?usp=shari...

On 1 computer only, the updates are going well. Updates from Brave are reflected in Safari and vice versa. In fact, Safari bookmarks on iPhone update correctly and changes on iPhone are well reflected on the desktop.

On the other hand, often, when I use a second computer, there are empty duplicate folders that appear. And sometimes duplicate bookmarks.

Could you tell me what I could change in my configuration to make it work without bugs?

Many thanks for your help!
F.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint